Currently, the appearance of the Walking Church varies depending on its use. The most notable example is the Walking Church worn by Index, a pure-white robe with golden embroidery onto its edges, and comes with white nun cap with a golden metal band.
Another form of the Walking Church is that of the silver Celtic Cross (ケルト十字架 Kerutu Jūjika?) that Himegami Aisa wears as a necklace to seal her ability, given to her by the Church. Despite being hung around her neck it somehow is strangely appears to float.
- Main article: Index Arc
The first Walking Church seen in the series is worn by Index, which is shortly destroyed by Kamijou Touma using his Imagine Breaker. The destroyed Walking Church would later put Index in a critical condition, after Kanzaki Kaori attacks Index mistakenly believing that her Walking Church would protect her. Even after Touma destroyed the Walking Church and removing its defensive capabilities, Index still wears the robes.
- Main article: Sisters Arc
Himegami Aisa's Walking Church is first featured during the arc.
Daihasei Festival ArcEdit
- Main article: Daihasei Festival Arc (Index)
As explained by Idol Theory, the Walking Church symbolically takes the essential elements of a church, as such since the church provides protection to the needy, the Walking Church will replicate that protection for the user. For example, Index's Walking Church uses the cloth-weaving, line stitching, and embroidery to successfuly recreate all essential elements of a church. Because of this, anything that would not destroy a real church would be rendered ineffective against the wearer.
Coupled with the fact that Index's Walking Church specifically replicates the Holy Shroud of Turin, the defensive ability of her Walking Church has been extended to the Pope-class, rendering the defensive capability of the robes similar to the level of a nuclear bomb shelter, and its power matching the level of enchantment on the London Cathedral. Any magical and physical attack on Index would be absorbed, although, according to Stiyl only the Dragon of St. George could destroy a Pope-class barrier such Index's Walking Church. Her Walking Church was maintained by magic, and as such could be tracked by magicians.
The Walking Church of Himegami Aisa however, seals off her ability to attract vampires. According to Stiyl Magnus: he, Kanzaki Kaori and Tsuchimikado Motoharu own Walking Churches as well, though it is unknown what kind of defensive abilities their Walking Churches contain.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 1 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 5 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03 Chapter 1 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 01
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 02
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 04
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 10
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 11
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 1 Part 6
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Chapter 6 Part 6