The Toaru Project (とあるプロジェクト Toaru Purojekuto?) is an on-going series of media releases related to the Toaru Majutsu no Index franchise. The project began on 2018, and started off with a third season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime series.
The Toaru Majutsu no Index light novel series, written by Kamachi Kazuma and illustrated by Haimura Kiyotaka, was adapted into an anime series between 2008 and 2011 and a theatrical release on 2013. Its main spinoff, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, was also adapted into an anime series between 2009 and 2013. After the TV airing of the second season of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, the series entered a period where no animated media related to both series was released; instead, another of Kamachi's works, Heavy Object, was greenlit for an anime adaptation during the 10th year anniversary of Kamachi Kazuma's career as a light novel author.
Between the years 2014 and 2016, Dengeki Bunko's editor Miki Kazuma appeared during the biannual Dengeki Bunko Festival and urged fans of the franchise to wait for any further developments. On March 2017, Index was involved in a crossover project with Sega's Dennou Senki Virtual-On video game franchise, spawning the Toaru Majutsu no Virtual-On light novel, and later videogame. On October 1, 2017, Miki Kazuma appeared at the Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival 2017 to announce the Toaru Project, as well as the confirmation of a third season of Toaru Majutsu no Index. Along with an accompanying video announcing the production of the third season. On September 2018, Kamachi Kazuma would later get an official twitter account.
Words of encouragementEdit
- Kamachi Kazuma: "Finally did season 3! Long or not long... Honestly, it was long, but animation technology has rapidly advanced. So lets aim at what you think is good!"
- Miki Kazuma: "It's been 4 years since the movie. It's finally starting again with Index III! However, with the labeling of Toaru PROJECT, it won't just stop with Index III! We have various plans in place! Lastly, a couple of words: 'Everyone, kept you waiting, huh? This is the best climax ever!' I'll be doing my best so please support us!"
Toaru Majutsu no Index IIIEdit
- Main article: Toaru Majutsu no Index III
A third season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime series was greenlit during the Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival 2017. Voice actors Abe Atsushi and Iguchi Yuka will reprise their roles as Kamijou Touma and Index respectively. This, coupled with the fact that Othinus and Lessar's seiyuus were revealed in the Toaru Majutsu no Virtual-On videogame, two characters who up to that point had were only light novel-exclusive, as well as the Toaru Majutsu no Index mobile MMO showing light novel-exclusive content, made it clear that the upcoming third season would soon be imminent.
Early in June 2018, more of the cast were revealed, with Satou Rina, Okamoto Nobuhiko, and Hino Satoshi are all reprising their roles as Misaka Mikoto, Accelerator, and Hamazura Shiage respectively. Moreover, a new key visual for the upcoming season was revealed, prominently showing important characters including Hamazura Shiage, as well as the new logo, making Toaru Majutsu no Index III the official title of the sequel. The sequel will premiere on October 2018.
On July 8, 2018, the first teaser for the third season was released at Anime Expo 2018 held in Los Angeles and later uploaded to Youtube on the official channel. The video reveals that Iuchi Maiko will be returning to compose for the series, and that it will premiere in October on Tokyo MX and other channels. Iguchi Yuka, Index's voice actress, would later announce that she will be doing the new season's ending, while Kurosaki Maon was announced as the artist for the opening. The third season is confirmed to be airing on October 5, 2018. Finally, during Comiket 94, a second preview was released. It contained new footage including animated sequences of the 14th Toaru Majutsu no Index volume, as well as a snippet of the first opening of the new season, Gravitation by Kurosaki Maon.
A special edited version of Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie: Miracle of Endymion was aired on September 30 to celebrate the broadcast of the new season. AT-X was later confirmed in airing the movie as well. Being a special edited version, cast members Abe Atsushi and Iguchi Yuka hosted a special program that included an AT-X exclusive planning mixed in with the new information, including voice actors for the new character as well as confirming the first ending theme of the season, Kakumei Zen'ya by Iguchi Yuka. Voice actors for Oyafune Suama and Oyafune Monaka were later listed in the official twitter page as well.
Toaru Majutsu no Index III was confirmed for 26 episodes.
Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator (anime series)Edit
During the 2018 Dengeki Bunko Fall Festival, in the Toaru stage of the event, Abe Atsushi, Iguchi Yuka, Satou Rina, and Miki Kazuma confirmed that Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator will be getting an anime in 2019. They later showed a preview with the characters Accelerator, Last Order, and Estelle Rosenthal. Hidaka Rina, Last Order's seiyuu, was later introduced as a secret guest.
It was later confirmed that Kamanaka Nobuharu will be directing the anime.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Season 3Edit
In the same stage immediately after the Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator anime reveal, a new season of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun was later revealed. Arai Satomi, Shirai Kuroko's seiyuu was introduced as secret guest.
It was later confirmed that Nagai Tatsuyuki will return to direct the anime. Along with Mikoto and Kuroko's seiyuus, Toyosaki Aki, Itou Kanae, and Asakura Azumi were all confirmed to be reprising their roles, as Uiharu Kazari, Saten Ruiko, and Shokuhou Misaki respectively. A key visual of Mikoto and Misaki in their Daihasei outfits was also shown, indicating an adaptation of the Daihasei Festival arc as seen in the Railgun manga.
Toaru Majutsu no Index IIIEdit
Toaru Kagaku no AcceleratorEdit
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Season 3Edit
- ↑ "Heavy Object Light Novels by A Certain Magical Index's Kamachi Get TV Anime," Anime News Network. October 5, 2014.
- ↑ "Dengeki Bunko Editor: 'No Season 3 Yet' for A Certain Magical Index", Anime News Network. October 4, 2015.
- ↑ "Sega, Dengeki Bunko Develop A Certain Magical Virtual-On Collaboration Game For PS4, PS Vita", Anime News Network. March 12, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "A Certain Magical Index TV Anime Season 3 Confirmed For 2018," Anime News Network. October 1, 2017.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kamachi Kazuma Official Website on Dengeki Bunko. (in Japanese) Accessed November 3, 2017.
- ↑ "A Certain Magical Index Anime's 3rd Season Reveals Visual" Anime News Network. June 29, 2018.
- ↑ "A Certain Magical Index Season 3 Anime's Teaser Promo Streamed," Anime News Network. July 6, 2018.
- ↑ Iguchi Yuka's Official Twitter page. July 8, 2018.
- ↑ Toaru Project Official Twitter page. July 9, 2018.
- ↑ Toaru Project Official Twitter page. August 6, 2018
- ↑ Toaru Project Official Twitter page. August 10, 2018
- ↑ AT-X Website (in Japanese). Accessed September 21, 2018.
- ↑ Toaru Project Official Twitter page September 30, 2018.
- ↑ “一方通行（アクセラレータ）”が主役の『とある科学の一方通行』2019年にTVアニメ化！, Dengeki Online (in Japanese). Accessed October 07, 2018.
- ↑ TVアニメ『とある科学の超電磁砲』第3期の制作が決定！, Dengeki Online (in Japanese). Accessed October 07, 2018.