Announcement and PromotionEdit
Originally announced on October 2, 2011 during the Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival, curiously on the same day as the announcement of the release of the 3rd light novel volume of Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index. Accompanying this announcement is the revamp of the official Toaru Majutsu no Index project site for the anime, as well as an announcement that further news will be released on the release of the Dengeki Bunko Magazine on October 11. However, leaks of the magazine later reveal only small information regarding the movie, which states that the once peaceful Academy City is under the threat of destruction.It was later announced on June 7, 2012 that the movie has been delayed to be released on February 2013, along with a confirmed cast list and staff for the movie's production. Furthermore, the plot summary, as well as new characters have been released with designs from Haimura Kiyotaka. Tickets for the movie was released on July 14, with first buyers receiving Toaru Majutsu no Index merchandise.
A nearly two minute long preview was later shown in the Summer Comiket on August 2012, which featured scenes of the new characters, and new mechs, as well as Stiyl Magnus fighting witches, Kuroko stilll in her wheelchair (indicating this is after Tree Diagram Remnant Arc), as well as the appearance of Accelerator.
Dengeki Daioh magazine has revealed that PSP game Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble is the lead in to the story of the movie, though details are unknown as to how. Later, it was revealed that the videogame's story occurs before the Daihasei Festival Arc, and seeing that Kuroko still has her wheelchair, this implies that the story occurs between September 15 and 19. In an interview with Hiroyuki Yoshino (Movie Screenwriter) and Nakayama Nobuhiro (Anime Producer) revealed that the movie was originally planned as a festival that was set in some kind of parallel world, before being incorporated into the canon. It is later revealed that Kamachi has written a new 220 page light novel illustrated by Haimura from Dengeki Bunko, and that 103,000 copies will be distributed to the first attendees in theaters playing the Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie, called Toaru Majutsu no Index: Road to Endymion. Moreover, a manga version of the movie was released on March 2013 issue of Monthly Shōnen Gangan on February 12, the same magazine that runs the Toaru Majutsu no Index Manga, and will be illustrated by Ryousuke Asakura. On February 20, 2013, brochures for the money was released, containing a sidestory written by Kamachi known as Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie: Story Underlay.
On February 6, 2013, the image song for the movie, Shining Star-☆-LOVE Letter, is released. Then on February 20, 2013, Sachika Misawa's Polaris mini album is released, containing the song telepath ~Hikari no Tou~, the song Meigo Alisa sings on Endymion. Moreover, Mami Kawada's FIXED STAR single is released, containing the ending theme for the movie.
The movie opened with 30 screens nationwide, and 69,117 viewers. Within the first two days of its premiere, the movie garnered a box-office revenue of about 100,760,000 yen, making it the third-highest selling movie during the weekend.
Starting from March 2 to March 8, special screenings of the movie will include the PV of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S as well as will be included in 30 theaters, including the OP of the new season by fripside, sister's noise.
After a week, the movie accumulated over 200 million yen, and has remained 7th place at the box-offce. Beginning on March 9, on the third week of the movie's screening, the movie will be screened in an additional 7 theaters. In addition to this, the digital master frames from the movie will be distributed to those who will see the movie in its third week. After 16 days, the box-office profit of the movie has exceeded 300 million yen. After 28 days and at least 80 theaters, the film has gained at least 400 million yen.
Debi, the author of the Trigger Happy End blog, commented on how the movie has deeply moved him emotionally. The movie had at least 103,000 attendants, along with him, he was able to obtain the Toaru Majutsu no Index: Road to Endymion light novel. By 8:00 in the morning, the pamphlet that contained the Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie: Story Underlay was sold out, but was later available again for sale, allowing him to obtain his copy.
Academy City's space elevator Endymion. One day as its completion nears, Kamijou and Index meet a Level 0 girl named Meigo Alisa. Index and Alisa have a mysterious connection in their ravenous appetites. While the three are enjoying their time after school, Stiyl (who has brought in some other magicians) suddenly attacks. His target is Alisa. Why is a member of the science side like her being targeted by the magic side? With the attack form the magic side underway, Academy City deploys a unit meant to maintain order led by its female leader Shoutaura. As the situation developing around Kamijou, Index, and Alisa grows more and more confused, Stiyl says, "That girl could likely cause a war between the magic side and the science side."
When science and magic cross paths, the story begins with Endymion as its stage!
- Kamijou Touma
- Misaka Mikoto
- Kanzaki Kaori
- Stiyl Magnus
- Himegami Aisa
- Tsuchimikado Motoharu
- Aogami Pierce
- Tsukuyomi Komoe
- Shirai Kuroko
- Uiharu Kazari
- Misaka Imouto
- Saten Ruiko
- Laura Stuart
- Tokyo Anime News Exclusive Interview with Nishikiori Hiroshi
- Dengeki PlayStation Interview with Kamachi Kazuma
- ↑ A Certain Magical Index Film Slated For February 23, 2013 from The Anime News Network. Retrieved on 2013/01/13.
- ↑ Information from Toaru Majutsu no Index Film Green-lit from The Anime News Network. Retrieved on 2011/10/03.
- ↑ Information from Toaru Majutsu no Index Novels' Haimura Draws Film's New Characters The Anime News Network. Retrieved on 2012/06/08.
- ↑ Tickets on sale on July the 14th. From Project-Index. Retrieved on 2012/7/11.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie PV from Youtube. Retrieved on 2012/8/10.
- ↑ A Symposium of the key developers of the Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble game Retrieved on 2012/10/6.
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 056.5
- ↑ 電撃劇場文庫「とある魔術の禁書目録 ―ロード トゥ エンデュミオン―」 表紙(はいむらきよたか氏描き下ろし）公開！ Retrieved on 2013/02/9.
- ↑ 224 page long volume! "Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie Miracle of Endymion" For those who come will get Kamachi-sensei’s newly written novel. 103,000 copies to be distributed. Retrieved on 2013/01/8.
- ↑ 『劇場版 とある魔術の禁書目録』 ストーリー下敷 Retrieved on 2013/2/21.
- ↑ Project-Index Music Page (Japanese). Retrieved on 13/2/5.
- ↑ A Certain Magical Index Film Earns 100 Million Yen/US$1 Million from The Anime News Network. Retrieved on 2013/03/05.
- ↑ "'Toaru Majutsu no Index' Movie Ranks Third on Weekend Box-Office Ranking", Ota-Suke. (In Japanese) Retrieved on 2013/2/25.
- ↑ 劇場版「とある魔術の禁書目録」上映劇場にて「超電磁砲S」PV初公開！ from Project-Index. Retrieved on 2013/03/05.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie: Miracle of Endymion From the public opening box-office, profit has exceeded 200 million yen! from Yaoron. Retrieved on 2013/03/05.
- ↑ 劇場版「とある魔術の禁書目録」 角川シネマ新宿で新記録、興収も2億円突破 (Japanese). Retrieved on 2013/3/7.
- ↑ 劇場版『とある魔術の禁書目録‐エンデュミオンの奇蹟‐』公開から16日間で興行収入３億円突破！ 順調すぎる (Japanese). (NSFW) Retrieved on 2013/3/12.
- ↑ とある魔術』28日に4億突破、80館規模に from Bunkatsushin (Japanese). Retrieved on 2013/4/1.
- ↑ Return Report from Trigger Happy End (Japanese). (NSFW) Retrieved on 2013/2/24.