|Therestina Kihara Lifeline|
|Name (Romaji)||Teresutīna Kihara Raifurain|
|Epithet||The First Sample|
|Affiliation||Multi-Active Rescue Captain and Head Researcher (formerly)|
|Anime||Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 12|
Therestina Kihara Lifeline (テレスティーナ＝木原＝ライフライン Teresutīna Kihara Raifurain?) is the main antagonist of the second arc of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime. She is the granddaughter of famous scientist Gensei Kihara and is related to Hound Dog's commander Amata Kihara. Like her grandfather, she is obsessed in achieving the creation of a Level 6 Esper.
At first glance she seems to exude an air of elegance and authority, she is also easily approachable and friendly. She also seem to be childish somewhat, having many toys decorated in her office and is fond of a specific kind of candy that comes out of small cylindrical tube where she easily guesses what color it is.
However this is all a facade for her true nature, she is truly cold and uncaring of people using them as pawns for the goals at hand, she is also well prepared in situations having installed Capacity Down in a research facility in the event of espers attacking (such as Mikoto and company) as well as determining the weakness of Mikoto's Railgun. However she is somewhat boastful of her own abilities and highly unstable, often breaking down in hysterical laughter while parading her plans when things go her way.
Therestina is a woman with wavy orange hair which is most of the time gathered into a ponytail. She is shown to have glamorous proportions and is "well-endowed" as well. She also wears a pair of glasses.
In her office attire, she wears a dark-colored coat and a pencil skirt with the same colors. Light brown stockings and white high-heeled shoes complete her outfit.
BackgroundEditWhen she was younger she was used by her grandfather for the creation of the Crystallized Esper Essence, stating happily that she was going to become Academy City's "dream" which is the achievement of creating a Level 6 and that she was being used a foundation for it. Apparently, she was previously an esper as she used as a part of the experiment, it is unknown if the experiment rendered her powerless, or that she lost her esper abilities in a much later point in her life.
She eventually became a leader of Multi Active Rescue, a peace-and-order organization in Academy City which acts as a response team in high-risk situations. Despite being a high-ranking official in MAR, she is shown to have interest in childish things, like her occasional consumption of candies and her collection of objects which are favorable for children. Sometime before the events of the Big Spider Arc, she gives Big Spider the Capacity Down that she developed, as a means to gather data from it's use against espers.
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article: Level Upper Arc
She was first seen as an unnamed character commanding a small group of MAR units after the capture of Kiyama Harumi, clearing debris from the nuclear research facility that the AIM Burst nearly destroyed.
- Main article: Poltergeist Arc
Later she aides Anti-Skill and Judgment with the Poltergeist incidents that were happening around the city with her MAR units under her command. She saves Haruue Erii and Uiharu Kazari during one such incident and gains the trust of Misaka Mikoto and company. She further gains their trust, after saving them once again during another poltergeist incident in Nature Park; she also takes Haruue Erii into their custody, under the facade of observing her.
When Kiyama Harumi and her students were discovered, she takes custody of the children from her. Later when Kiyama Harumi and Kazari offered to giver the former's research data on recovering her comatose students, she reveals her true colors, and that she is discovered that she is actually the granddaughter of Kihara Gensei, the one responsible for the coma of Harumi's students and that she wants to continue the experiments by using the children regardless of the consequences.
She is defeated by Mikoto and her friends with the support of Anti-Skill and was reported to have been captured for questioning though she seems uncooperative in the interrogation.
- Hand-to-Hand combat - She is skilled enough to easily take down Kiyama Harumi, when she charged at her during a fit of rage.
- Mechanical unit pilot - As MAR commander she is a very skilled pilot of a customized HsPS-15 unit. She also wears a personal robotic bodysuit which is more than a match for any unskilled Esper, she also pilots a much larger mechanical unit that is probably used for dangerous rescue situations or construction.
- Intelligence - She is also shown to be quite devious, fooling Anti-Skill and Judgment of her true identity for much of her appearances. She used Skill-Out gangs as test subjects for her invention, Capacity Down, which is used to disable espers. She is also studied Misaka's abilities carefully in order to counter her abilities, one of her abilities the Railgun was copied by her and was intended to be more powerful than the original.
- Physical Combat - It is unknown as to how skilled she is in mere physical combat, though she easily disabled Harumi when she attempted to attack her, pulling strands of her hair in the process.
Character Art DesignsEdit
The evolution of Therestina looks started after Haimura decided that Therestina was the complete opposite of Harumi's character, as well as his desire not to fall into set design patterns that are common in moe characters. Therestina's design's first draft looks completely different from her final design. In her second draft, Haimura modified her outfit after learning that Therestina would be piloting Powered Suits, but the overall design was rejected. Haimura later redesigned Therestina, after he was given feedback that Therestina should look more like a secretary. Her current design was later finalized after redrawing a rough sketch of her with orange hair. According to Haimura, despite the stark difference between the final and first design, Therestina still looks as an opposite to Harumi.
- A number of fans pointed out the "maniacal laugh" she did on the last few episodes of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun is similar to a certain character in another anime series Umineko no Naku Koro ni. In fact, it is true; Sayaka Ohara, seiyuu for Therestina, also voiced Beatrice, who share an equally twisted attitude. Also, they pointed out that the battle between Misaka Mikoto (voiced by Rina Satou, who voiced Ange-Beatrice in Umineko) and Therestina has happened before, in the form of the battle between Ange-Beatrice and Beatrice in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
- Many fans also compare her to Margery Daw of Shakugan no Shana fame, because they share similar features.