Saints (聖人 Seijin?) are powerful people on the Magic Side, with less than 20 of them in the world. Their existence is also called 'Child of God', and marked with a Stigma.
The theory behind their power is based on Idol Theory, where a replica of a more powerful being or item can also gain a tiny portion of the original's strength. Humans are said to be made in the image of God, and Saints are said to be a higher replica that can bring out more strength. It is also because of that reason, that Saints in general are weak to attacks that resemble how the Son of God was killed (being stabbed, a crown of Thorns, and the crucifix). Though this weakness normally is inconsequential since most magicians don't have the power to exploit these weaknesses, and most saints are aware of this problem and take measure to prevent them being affected by the weakness.
The spell Saint Destroyer designed by the Amakusa Church aims to disrupt the balance of holy power and magic power inside a saint, and against a normal saint it only temporarily brings them down to levels like a normal human. In Amakusa's fight against Acqua of the Back the 'Saint Destroyer' made him self-destruct because he has too much power due to his role as one of the God's Right Seat as well..
Moreover, it is also possible for a Saint to use up too much power past the limit of the human body and destroy themselves. Demonstrated when Kanzaki Kaori fought Misha Kreutzev during the Angel Fall incident and was on the brink of over-exerting herself and death before Motoharu blasted the ritual location.
Traits that most Saints have include superhuman physical strength, incredible speed, capable of channeling larger amount of mana compared to normal magicians, and superhuman senses. Examples of superhuman senses are demonstrated many times in the novels, when it was stated Kanzaki have vision of 8.0 and Acqua of the Back can hear a whisper from over 10m away.
There is a path which many Saints, such as Kanzaki Kaori and Brunhild Eiktobel, go down due to their nature. Being born with rare qualities, they are often on the receiving end of the darker side of human nature and this not only affects them but also the few people that have truly connected with them, who don't share these unique traits that allow them to survive most attacks against them. As a result, loved ones may be caught in a trap meant for the Saint and likely perish while they live on.
When this happens, the Saint wouldn't resign themselves to fate and give up - this feeling is strong in them because they are Saints, and thus possess characteristics similar to the Son of God, who in one story raised the dead, allowing them to use a portion of his power. Knowing this and the smiles of the people who cared about them, they would seriously think about detailed and absurd plans to miraculously save them, store up power and accurately carry them out, not giving up without trying - their actions opposing the image given by the word Saint.
In the end though, they all despair for none of these plans would work and no matter what the people whose minds and bodies were destroyed would never return to normal. In trying to bring their loved ones back, they lose sight of the simple fact that human life isn't such a simple thing. After wearing themselves down, trying everything and offering all they have, they fail, despair, then finally come to terms with the deaths of the ones they cared about.
There are the Saints seen or mentioned in the series thus far:
- Kanzaki Kaori
- William Orwell - Lost his Saint powers in World War III.
- Silvia - Higher rank than Brunhild.
- Brunhild Eiktobel - Lower rank than Silvia.
- Number Ten Saint - Not much is known, except that he/she has been continually flying through the sky for years.
- Meigo Arisa - Due to her strange existence, she was temporarily ranked as the ninth Saint, and is reference by Kaori that she could outclass her if her powers awaken. It is likely her Saint rank is stripped after she merges back with Shutaura Sequenzia.
- Pantagruel - The antagonist of the Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble game temporarily made himself into a Saint using his spell. He inputted Kaori's body parameters into his own body in order to gain the "parameters" of being a Saint. As a result, he gains the speed equal to that of a Saint like Kaori.
|Saint||Description||Spell or Magic Item||Introduction|
|St. Peter||One of the twelve apostles of the Son of God and first Pope||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 7|
|St. Andrew||Apostle of the Son of God and the brother of St. Peter.||St. Andrew's Cross||Toaru Majutsu no Index Radio Drama Chapter 2|
|St. George||Roman army officer.||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 4|
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Between the Lines 1|
|Saint Catherine of Alexandria||The Legend of the Wheel: Wheel explodes attacking those deemed guilty.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 1|
|Saint Matthew||Bags of the tax collector: The bags of gold act as projectiles representing the Four Elements.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 1|
|Saint Giles||Divine Protection of Ægidius barrier||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Saint Barbara||Divine Cannon of St. Barbara: Magical ice cannon.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter|
|Saint Margaret the Virgin||St. Margaret's Crucifix: Crucifixes that expand into large stabbing weapons three meters length.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Saints Lucia and Christopher||Weight of the Cross create a zone of immense gravity||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Jeanne d'Arc||French heroine of the Hundred Year's War.||Oracle of d'Arc||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Between The Lines 2|
|Saint Paul||Ex Voto Emblem of the decapitated St. Paul to behead another.||Toaru Kagaku no Railgun SS2: Shopping Mall Demonstration Chapter 6 Part 7|
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 8
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Profound Destruction
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion Dengeki PlayStation Interview with Kamachi Kazuma
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion Manga Chapter 5