Saints (聖人 Seijin?) are powerful people on the Magic Side, with less than 20 of them in the world. Their existence is also called 'Child of God', and marked with a Stigma.
The theory behind their power is based on Idol Theory, where a replica of a more powerful being or item can also gain a tiny portion of the original's strength. Humans are said to be made in the image of God, and Saints are said to be a higher replica that can bring out more strength. It is also because of that reason, that Saints in general are weak to attacks that resemble how the Son of God was killed (being stabbed, a crown of Thorns, and the crucifix). Though this weakness normally is inconsequential since most magicians don't have the power to exploit these weaknesses, and most saints are aware of this problem and take measure to prevent them being affected by the weakness.
The spell Saint Destroyer designed by the Amakusa Church aims to disrupt the balance of holy power and magic power inside a saint, and against a normal saint it only temporarily brings them down to levels like a normal human. In Amakusa's fight against Acqua of the Back the 'Saint Destroyer' made him self-destruct because he has too much power due to his role as one of the God's Right Seat as well..
Moreover, it is also possible for a Saint to use up too much power past the limit of the human body and destroy themselves. Demonstrated when Kanzaki Kaori fought Misha Kreutzev during the Angel Fall incident and was on the brink of over-exerting herself and death before Motoharu blasted the ritual location.
Traits that most Saints have include superhuman physical strength, incredible speed, capable of channeling larger amount of mana compared to normal magicians, and superhuman senses. Examples of superhuman senses are demonstrated many times in the novels, when it was stated Kanzaki have vision of 8.0 and Acqua of the Back can hear a whisper from over 10m away.
There are the Saints seen or mentionned in the series thus far:
- Kanzaki Kaori
- William Orwell - Lost his Saint powers in World War III.
- Silvia - Higher rank than Brunhild.
- Brunhild Eiktobel - Lower rank than Silvia.
- Number Ten Saint - Not much is known, except that he/she has been continually flying through the sky for years.
- Meigo Arisa - Due to her strange existence, she was temporarily ranked as the ninth Saint, and is reference by Kaori that she could outclass her if her powers awaken. It is likely her Saint rank is stripped after she merges back with Shutaura Sequenzia.
- Pantagruel - The antagonist of the Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble game temporarily made himself into a Saint using his spell. He inputted Kaori's body parameters into his own body in order to gain the "parameters" of being a Saint. As a result, he gains the speed equal to that of a Saint like Kaori.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 16
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 18
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Profound Destruction
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion Dengeki PlayStation Interview with Kamachi Kazuma
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion Manga Chapter 5