|Return of the Winged One|
|Magic Specialization||Aztec-Based Magic|
|Size||4 known members, but otherwise it is a large magic cabal|
Return of the Winged One (翼ある者の帰還 Tsubasa aru Mono no Kikan?) is a magic organization based in Latin America. This organization has almost complete control over Latin America, though not to the extent like the Christian churches where they could influence the government.
A Council of Elders once ruled over the organization before it was overthrown by Tecpatl who was originally in charge of military affairs - this was after the failure of the mission in United States where they tried to retrieve one of their artifacts that fell into outsider hands, but were interrupted by Misaka Mikoto on her school trip outside Academy City. Tecpatl then restructured the organization, mass-producing grimoires and forcing combatants to carry them. Leadership after Tecpatl's death is currently unknown, though Tecpatl wagered it on a life or death battle between him and Etzali, but Etzali has shown no signs of returning to take up this position.
The magicians from Return of the Winged One do not use metallic materials when constructing weapons. Their magic roots are in Aztec rituals and customs such eating human flesh in order to deliver it to heaven; that would create a magical line connecting the person and the severed flesh. It should be noted that by "eating the flesh" the meaning is surely "using the flesh as materials for the magic" like it has been shown with the "charm" and the spells used by the Aztec Grimoires; during the course of the story there has been no Aztec magician who displayed actual cannibalistic tendencies.
- Charm (護符 Gofu?, lit. Talisman, Charm): An item made out of human skin which allows the usage of an effective "appearance borrowing" spell.
- Spear of Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli (トラウィスカルパンテクウトリの槍 Torawisukarupanteku'utori no Yari?): A dagger made of obsidian that can reflect the light of Venus for a certain kill attack.
- Macuahuitl (マクアフティル Makuafutiru?): A weapon used between the 12th and 16th century, it's a huge sword made out of jade meant to rip apart and crush the enemies. Considering that the blades of the sword are made of stone, it can be said that a considerable amount of strength is needed to get the most out of the weapon.
- Calendar Stone (暦石 Koyomi Ishi?): A system created based on Aztec authored grimoires, Tecpatl discovered means to reproduce the pages of the grimoires and a defensive system that enables the usage of the books without actually reading them; thus preventing the mind contamination that comes from coming into contact with the books. As of now only two derivative books have been shown:
- Time related to Life and Death (生と死に関する時間 Sei to Shi ni Kansuru Jikan?): A grimoire based on the fact that the Aztecs used two different forms of calendars at once and believed in the death and rebirth of the sun, this Grimoire is born from that concept. It has powerful defensive functions.
- Moon Rabbit (月のウサギ Tsuki no Usagi?, lit. "Rabbit of the Moon"): A grimoire which uses the legend of throwing rabbits at astral bodies as it's basis. It has very powerful offensive capabilities meant for snipping.
- Mixcoatl (雲海の蛇 Unkai no Hebi?, lit. "Serpent of the Sea of Clouds"): Planes made out of wood, cloth and obsidian that can travel at Mach 1 speed and are featured in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun SS: Liberal Arts City.
- Xiuhcoatl (太陽の蛇 Taiyō no Hebi?, lit. Serpent of the Sun): Also featured in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun SS: Liberal Arts City , this is their ultimate weapon; a flying giant structure over 100m in length, and made of the same materials as the Mixcoatls. It's true form that of a magical satellite launched by the Aztecs in ages past; it has the ability of gathering energy from the sun and delivering terrifying barrages each consisting of a 10 km wide scattershots of energy beams that can scorch their targeted area asunder with ease. Several of them are known to be in existence.
- Tecpatl (Latest Leader, deceased)
- Etzali (betrayed the cabal and now works for the science side).
|Return of the Winged One