Recurrent Spontaneous PsychoKinesis Syndrome (RSPK Syndrome) (
Poltergeist (from German poltern, meaning "to rumble", "to make a noise" and Geist, meaning "ghost" or "spirit") is the common term used to refer to RSPK Syndrome, as the manifestation of the phenomena is similar to the actions of a poltergeist of lores, like moving objects or other unnatural occurrences. In the Power Curriculum Program, various methods are used to separate one from normal reality, according Tsukuyomi Komoe, RSPK Syndrome occurs when espers cannot perceive reality properly due to mental stress or trauma.
Interference on the AIM diffusion fields of espers can also cause simultaneous outbreaks of RSPK Syndrome to occur. Also when multiple overloaded espers (as with the case with Kiyama Harumi's students) with the same AIM diffusion fields are gathered together, their powers resonate and causes an occurrence of RSPK Syndrome.
Apart from the abnormal occurence of moving objects (like teacups and dolls) and other similar unnatural events, a poltergeist can also cause earthquakes. Poltergeist earthquakes occurs when the abilities of multiple out of control espers converge on a large scale, from a human sensory perspective they are perceived as earthquakes. A large enough occurence of poltergeist earthquakes can cause significant damage, and can seriously injure bystanders. In the worst case scenario, a city like Academy City could have 78% of its population be affected by a large enough occurence of RSPK Syndrome.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
- Main article: Sisters Arc
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
- Main article: Poltergeist Arc
Due to Kiyama Harumi's attempts at reviving her comatose students and Haruue Erii constant attempts to telepatheically contact one of them, Edasaki Banri, sporadic occurences of RSPK Syndrome occurred across Academy City, causing various amounts of damage. Because of these events, Judgment, Anti-Skill and Multi Active Rescue held a meeting on information about the recent earthquakes. With the help of Misaka Mikoto, Therestina Kihara Lifeline, the head of Multi Active Rescue was able to find Harumi and obtain custody of the children.
It was eventually revealed that Therestina is also the granddaughter of Kihara Gensei, the researcher who performed an experiment on analysing the overloading of esper abilities on Harumi's students, and planned to continue his experiment on achieving SYSTEM or level 6, by using Harumi's students as well as Erii. This would cause an overload of their abilities, theoretically achieving SYSTEM, however it would cause the destruction of Academy City.
- ↑ Therestina's lecture on RSPK Syndrome from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 20
- ↑ Definition of Poltergeist in thefreedictionary.com
- ↑ Komoe's explanation of Personal Reality from Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 13
- ↑ Konori Mii's research on RSPK Syndrome, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 20
- ↑ What happened to Kongou Mitsuko from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 20
- ↑ Disaster in Nature Park from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 21
- ↑ Shirai Kuroko's research on AIM Diffusion Field Resonance
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03/Chapter 2; later adapted into Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 13
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 22
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 23
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24