|Index: "What is this? Agathions?"|
|Name (Romaji)||Oriana Tomuson|
|Sorcery Name||Basis104 - The one who carries the basis|
|Epithet|| Route Disturb (|
|Voiced By||Ryouka Yuzuki|
|Anime||Index II Episode 08|
Oriana Thomson (オリアナ＝トムソン Oriana Tomuson?) is an 18-year-old blonde magician who was born in England yet affiliates to no one and works as a mercenary. Her sorcery name is Basis104, "The one who carry the basis." (礎を担いし者 Ishizue o Ninaishi Mono?)
She appears as a young adult and has blonde hair with blue eyes. Her hair usually covers her right eye, however, it is occasionally shown. In her first appearance, she wore gray work clothes with a shirt buttoned in only one area, covering her bust, and unzipped pants. A little bit later into the series, she changes from her work clothes to a gypsy skirt and a small article of clothing used to cover her chest.
She's known as the Route Disturb (
It is shown that Oriana is extremely talented in tracking people as well, almost as good as she is in evading and escaping from them. This is due to her own prowess in escaping from pursuers; in order to achieve that feat she needs to know the current mindset of who is searching for her as well as being knowledgeable in any magic that might be used to trace a target; in other words in order to accurately lose track of an enemy, she indirectly learned the necessary skills for pursuing at its finest.
Oriana does not hesitate to use her attractive looks to make others vulnerable and is an escape master able to use a "human wall" formed by a crowd to slip inside. She is shown to have no intention of involving civilians purposely; when she was chased by Necessarius and normal citizens with no link to magic and claimed to be her "best friend". She shows regret for hurting Aisa Himegami and stated that she would finish her mission especially if it guaranteed the happiness of others. She is shown to be flirtatious when she teasingly asks Kamijou Touma if he wanted a kiss and is considered a mature, older sister.
To Aru Majutsu No IndexEdit
Daihasei Festival ArcEdit
- Main article: Daihasei Festival Arc
She first appears during the Daihasei Festival, for which she was hired by Ridovia Lorenzetti for the transportation of Croce di Pietro to Academy City. During this, she meets Touma who dispels her Silent Coin spell after she shakes hands with him thus forcing her to retreat as she is pursued by Touma and then by Stiyl and Motoharu. During the chasing, she attacked Himegami out of fear and her trap hurt Fukiyose inadvertently, severely injuring both of them to the point of near death. She's also laid traps to hurt Stiyl and defeated Tsuchimikado in battle.
Eventually she fought Stiyl and Touma in District 23 at the best location to set up the Croce di Pietro in Academy City, and was defeated after a prolonged battle.
Document of Constantine ArcEdit
- Main article: Document of Constantine Arc
When Ridovia was exchanging information with Stiyl it was mentioned Oriana had accepted a deal to work for the Anglican Church against the Roman Catholic Church, in order to get out of being locked up.
English Civil WarEdit
- Main article: English Civil War Arc
She is hired by Necessarius to help them investigate the source of the Euro Tunnel explosion. She along with Touma investigates New Light, and both end up chasing the magician girl Lessar, consequently defeating her. When Lessar told them their job as convoys and was about to reveal the identity of her employer, Lessar is shot from a long distance weapon which she recognizes as a sniper from the English Knighthood. At the end of the 18th novel, she helps Sherry who lost her control fighting English Knights, and after that was hired by Villian to track down William Orville before they face off against Carissa.
Shinyaku To Aru Majutsu No IndexEdit
Lance of Gungnir ArcEdit
- Main article: Lance of Gungnir Arc
She was seen battling Fenrir on the snowy plains of Alaska. By incorporating the same symbols as a river into a location, Fenrir created a large “ditch” that swallowed up the massive power of the ley lines. It forcibly swallowed up the magic power that constructed magic and swept it away. Oriana Thomson lightly spun the set of flashcards in her hand and proceeded to counter his attack.
Oriana Thomson uses a technique called a Shorthand (速記原典(ショートハンド) Sokki Genten(Shōto Hando)?), in which she mixes the symbols and the colors of the four elements in Western magic. The use of the incompatible colors allows for a reaction that Oriana can use as an attack, though not only that, but complex spells such a Counter Spell as well. This is because she used a "shorthand" (her cursive writing on the flashcard) of instructions on the flashcard along with the incompatible colors and symbols, like a mini original grimoire. However, it is imperfect and unlike an original grimoire is destroyed when the spell activates. According to Tsuchimikado Motoharu, unlike grimoires, Oriana's Shorthands' purpose is not to pass on the techniques and knowledge for future generations, but to destroy the Shorthand instantly when needed. Moreover, unlike original grimoires that corrupt its readers, because of the scribbled writing of Oriana, no knowledge can be passed on.
Oriana used her Shorthand instead of focusing on a particular element in order to circumvent enemies from reading her magic and making a defensive spell to counter it. Her various combinations are made through the use of the incompatible colors and names as well as the usage of angles which have laws for each of them based on Western Astrology, where there each relationship between the planets and the constellations have different functions due to different angles. Because Oriana uses page numbers on each flashcard to identify them, she cannot reuse the same spell again. This is to take advantage of the fact that her Shorthand grimoires will lose control and self-destruct because it won't stabilize. Each new "grimoire" creates a new spell. However, because of their imperfection, the most each "grimoire" can last is one hour, if it's fast, it will self-destruct in a few seconds.
- Silent Coin (表裏の騒静(サイレントコイン) Hyōri no Sōsei (Sairento Koin)?, lit. "Chaos and Calm of Two Sides"): It is a spell that absorbed the mentality "to chase after her" from her pursuers. It is useless when one is facing her in a conversation, but by turning her back on the party, the other party would feel that "there's no reason to call her; I'll talk to her next time," and not call out to her. It was a spell that use the Repel bystander spell and expanded on it. While the spell is working, even if Oriana was holding a fireball or anything in her hand, nobody would want to "call her".
- Water Symbol: Communication spell: It is an unnamed communication spell used by Oriana to communicate with Ridovia Lorenzetti for the first time since infiltrating Academy City. The flash card transmits a voice that was so soft it didn't seem to vibrate at all.
- Soil symbol: Allows for a 5 meter wall of earth to move like a tsunami towards the target. It is apparently made out of provisional material made like ectoplasm, and can be destroyed by the Imagine Breaker. When negated by Touma, The wall seemed to have dissolved in the air, and there didn't seem to be any changes. The asphalt ground returned to its original state as well.
- Wind Symbol: Counter Spell: Using her Shorthand Original in an area, she can analyze a target's magic and is able to use it against them. Another Shorthand Original is required for her as a magic array that automatically counterattacks the target when they try to use magic, which causes great pain to the target. The spell also reacts to touch, and counterattacks whoever touches the magic array, or in this case, the Shorthand Original where it is written, as what happened to Fukiyose Seiri.
- Wind Symbol: Summons a misty tornado filled with moisture. The moisture, when used on flames, will not evaporate but takes away anything flammable, and prevent the flames from spreading.
- Fire Symbol: Using the color of blue on the word "fire," it removes the fire element that signifies rebirth and regeneration. It uses the medium of sound to enter a person's ears, and render a person unconscious if he's injured enough. When triggered, the already injured target will come upon severe pain, and is able to regenerate even if it is negated by the Imagine Breaker as long as the target remains injured. The spell wears off after 20 minutes.
- Wind Symbol: 50 centimeter thick 3 meter tall walls of ice appear between Oriana and the target. It is used not only as a barrier but as well as to refract light, allowing Orian to confuse the target from her proper distance.
- Shadow Sword (影剣 Kage Tsurugi?): Produces a dark sword in Oriana's hand. It can be reshaped to any length. It is used to stab the opponent's shadow, which makes an exploding effect, most likely propelling the owner of the shadow.
- Wind Symbol: Blade Crater (明色の切断斧(ブレードクレーター) Meishoku no Setsudan Ono (Burēdo Kurētā)?, lit. "Light-colored Severing Ax"): Angling the 577th piece of paper out of the total number of papers of at 0 degree conjunction using the Wind Symbol colored red, she is able to create a circle on the ground a meter in radius with her in the middle. Outside of the circle, there are patterns similar to those of tree branches or capillaries, and apparently extends in all directions. The spell is set up the moment Oriana bites on the paper, and activates after she lets go of it.
With Oriana at the center, the power is transferred to the patterns, and vacuum blades start swinging from them. The vacuum blades sway from down to up, and the total number of strikes is 208. Things that are in the way of the patterns are cut down. There are safety zones that Oriana can set up when she uses it.
- Drop Rest (昏睡の風(ドロップレスト) Konsui no Kaze (Doroppu Resuto)?, lit. "Lethargic Wind"): Written in yellow color, the spell looks like a compressed air gun, and when it hits the target directly, turns their consciousness inside out. The attack intends to knock out the target with hurting them. In the anime adaptation, the spell looks like a dark purple cyclone.
- Earth Symbol: A powerful spell that apparently explodes the target's blood from their veins, affecting the person from the collarbone to the top of the navel. Himegami Aisa becomes the unlucky recipient of this attack after a case of mistaken identity.
- All of Symbol: Oriana uses up all of her Shorthand Original flashcards. Here, the word All of Symbol appears on the flashcard and Oriana chants a spell:
"Using all my talents—
—release all the souls and destroy the enemy ahead!"
The flashcards then creates a pure white explosion, which then forms onto Oriana's right arm. As she finishes her chant, Oriana pulls her right arm back, and swings it down, throwing the white explosion towards its target. There’s no definite shape, and this contraption will often change into random shapes. With its movements, the air that touches the light is sucked in at an extremely fast speed. It is unknown which one is distorted, the light or the gravity, as the scene in front suddenly changes. It is like a black hole, all the matter that touches the light is sucked in and crushed by the pressure.
When it was negated by the Imagine Breaker, the pure white light breaks apart, and the compressed objects that were in the light are released explosively.
Oriana has experience when it comes to melee combat, utilizing seductive and suggestive "stances", which, coupled with her already distractingly attractive appearance, results in a strike-grapple-and-counter style that robs her male opponents of any and all concentration. This, in combination with her magical prowess allowed her to defeat Tsuchimikado Motoharu -- a vicious hand-to-hand combatant in his own right (though weakened at the time due to using magic) -- in a one-on-one fight, as well as simultaneously fighting Kamijou Touma and Stiyl Magnus to a standstill.
Touma himself recalls in the seventeenth novel that she had astounding combat capabilities and was able to retain the upper hand in fighting him and his two allies depite ultimately failing in her objective.
When Oriana parts ways with Touma to assist Sherry Cromwell in defeating the Knights of England, it is noted that while she is an excellent courier and escape artist she is not suited in fighting long, drawn-out battles -- specifically against the eight fully equipped knights that were battling Cromwell.
Character Art DesignsEdit
The overall design of Oriana Thomson remains the same throughout the series. Early drafts of her character had her wear clothes much more moderately, in comparison to her finish design, and had a smaller bust. This is completely redone in her last design for the 9th and 10th light novel volume, with her wearing much more daring garments and her breast size increasing to the point of physical impossibility (a point that Haimura noted and quickly disregarded). She was apparently designed to look like a wife instead of an Onee-san, making her look much older despite her age.
By SS2, Oriana's design is affected by the deformed artstyle change that Haimura had. She is drawn, and had a coat added to her for the volume.
- "It doesn’t matter whether it’s the king, pope, president, ministers, no matter the title, no matter who’s on the throne, I’ll fight for others. Whether it’s science or magic, these things don’t matter".
- "I beg you, decide on a rule. Please grant my wish, allow me to have a clear benchmark and make everyone happy. A world that runs on this best rule that won’t let anyone get involved in any discord, that may lead to tragedy".
- (To Fenrir from NT volume 8) “This is not my first time doing it with an enemy of magic. I have yet to use them on that boy, but I have simulated some countermeasures.”
- Oriana is considered by Kamachi Kazuma as "the person whom he wants to avoid altogether".
- Oriana's seiyuu, Ryouka Yuzuki, also voices Yanagisako Aomi in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 08 Chapter 4 Part 9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 2 Part 9
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 3 Part 4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 2 Part 7
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 3 Part 3
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 5
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 10
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Chapter 6 Part 10
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Chapter 8 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index no Subete, p.128.