Nuada was the first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann in Celtic Mythology. He lost an arm in battle and was removed from kingship as a result, but was returned to the throne after having his lost arm replaced by one made of silver. His silver arm was the source of his epithet Airgetlám (meaning silver hand/arm).
Nuada's background is largely unknown, however he possesses the history associated with his mythological namesake; the king of the Celtic gods, driven from his throne after losing his arm, made a comeback with the help of the god of healing, then after that success severed his own arm as a test of courage and crawled back up from it to overcome the trial towards becoming king. His original left arm was replaced with a silver arm, Airgetlám, which made up for what he had lost.
Magic God Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Magic God Invasion Arc
At some point around the time of the incident instigated by the High Priest, Nuada encountered Kamisato Kakeru and was 'exiled' by his World Rejecter. His silver arm was later returned before Nephthys, though it was actually through sleight-of-hand.
- Main article: Salome Arc
Nuada remained exiled, but his likeliness was used in a bluff by Kihara Yuiitsu while fighting Kamijou Touma, Salome and Misaka Mikoto, making use of Sample Shoggoth and an attenuated St. Germain virus to make imitations of the Magic Gods and their magic, to make them think she could draw out the Magic Gods and their power after stealing World Rejecter from Kamisato Kakeru.
Kamisato Rescue ArcEdit
- Main article: Kamisato Rescue Arc
On December 9th, after Kamisato himself fell victim to the World Rejecter's power, Nuada was among the Magic Gods who beat him up shortly after his arrival in the 'new world', though they didn't kill him. At that point, he and the rest of Gremlin were content to stay in the isolated world, but were keen for the new arrival to leave as soon as possible. A destructive struggle between Gremlin occurred when Nephthys and Niang-Niang decided to protect the boy against the Nuada and the Magic Gods who sought to continue the punishment. During the battle, he used his Darbh-Daol to form and launch gigantic gambling-themed objects, reflecting him viewing the attempt to kill Kamisato as a game.
Being a Magic God, Nuada is powerful enough to risk destroying the world with his mere presence unless precautionary measures are taken. Even weakened by Aleister Crowley's spell, he is still capable of destroying the world.
Nuada makes use of the Darbh-Daol (ダルヴ＝ダオル Daruvu Daoru?), maggot-like white bugs with no fangs or legs which snuck into the gap between his silver arm and his shoulder wound to sap his life force. For insolently feasting on divine flesh, Nuada makes them work off what they ate. Using billions or trillions of them, Nuada can form giant objects easily capable of crushing buildings and propelling them with force enough to send them more than a kilometer into the air. Shapes Nuada has formed include a colossal cube resembling a dice, a disk larger than a stadium resembling a tossed coin, a whirling swarm resembling a roulette wheel, and cards capable of slicing through buildings like giant guillotines, none of which are tools found in his legends but more related to how he was trying to kill Kamisato Kakeru like it was a gambling game.
Character Art DesignEdit
According to Haimura, there weren't any particular details focused on in the designs of Nuada and the Magic Gods whose appearances were shown for the first time through Yuiitsu's fabrications, given their lack of mention in the story.
- Outside of mythology, there is a insect species; the devil's coach horse beetle, which is referred to as the darbh-daol in Irish.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Epilogue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 5 Part 7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Rainbow Spectrum
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 5 Part 9
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 3