|Index: "What is this? Agathions?"|
|Name (Kanji)||絹旗 最愛|
|Name (Romaji)||Kinuhata Saiai|
|Ability Name|| Offense Armor (|
|Voiced By||Chinatsu Akasaki|
|Manga||Railgun Chapter 15|
|Anime||Railgun Episode 12 (cameo)|
Kinuhata Saiai (絹旗 最愛 Kinuhata Saiai?) is a minor character in the Toaru Majutsu no Index series. She is a Level 4 esper and is an operative of ITEM, an organization led by Mugino Shizuri. She later becomes ITEM's leader in Volume 19, after Mugino's defeat at the hands of Shiage Hamazura in Volume 15.
Despite being a powerful Psychic, Saiai is one of the most mellowed-out characters in ITEM; she isn't a screw-up like Frenda, nor is she as frightful as her leader, Mugino. She enjoys B movies and likes to tease others, Shiage in particular because of his reaction to anything sexually suggestive.
She also likes to add "super" (超, chou) to her remarks.
Saiai was previously part of the "Dark May Project"- an experiment that used subjects that were most likely Child Errors in an effort to replicate Accelerator's powers. It is unknown whether or not Saiai herself is a Child Error.
A Certain Scientific RailgunEdit
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article:Level Upper Arc
Saiai and her comrades in ITEM appear in a Joseph's Coffee and Restaurant. In both the manga and the anime adaptation, she can be seen here reading a magazine. In the manga, they argue about whether or not they should all go to a pool since it's summer when they take notice of the Level Upper treatment program being broadcasted all over Academy City.
- Main article:Sisters Arc
Saiai is later seen calling Mugino (who is in a fierce battle with Mikoto) to tell her that their part in the mission is done. After this, she appears once more, telling Frenda on the behalf of Mugino that Frenda should be prepared for punishment.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Later Events in the NovelsEdit
Saiai and ITEM make their debut in the Toaru Majutsu no Index series in Volume 15. Here, they and Shiage lounge in a Joseph's Coffee and Restaurant while discussing SCHOOL's assassination attempt on Oyafune Monaka. ITEM's controller soon contacts Mugino and orders ITEM to investigate the Virus Isolation Center, but Mugino decides to investigate Kirigaoka Girls' Academy instead in an attempt to intercept and eliminate SCHOOL.
She later appears in one of ITEM's hideouts in District 3, regrouping with everyone in ITEM minus Frenda. When Takitsubo Rikou uses the Body Crystal drug to activate her ability, Saiai sympathizes with Rikou's handicap. As SCHOOL ambushes ITEM, Saiai uses her ability to secure a path for Shiage and Rikou, managing to subdue a number of SCHOOL's lackeys and take out Sunazara Chimitsu. She then finds herself facing Teitoku Kakine, and learns that Frenda had sold out ITEM before Kakine defeats her easily.
Kakine drags Saiai's unconscious body with him when he finds Shiage and Rikou. When she regains consciousness and sees Shiage worrying over Rikou, she orders him to take Rikou and flee, saying with a slight smile on her face that ITEM has no use for useless people like him and Rikou. Before he leaves, Shiage asks if he can do anything for Saiai; she requests an information suppression team and an ambulance since she can't move, to which he complies.
Toaru Majutsu no Index: New TestamentEdit
- Main article:Freshmen Arc
In Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01, she is reunited with her friends from ITEM after the events in Russia. She later confronts the mysterious student, Kuroyoru Umidori, at this point it is revealed that Saiai was the "honor student" of the Dark May Project.
- Main article:Homecoming Arc
Ichihanaran Festival ArcEdit
- Main article:Ichihanaran Festival Arc
Eve of the FestivalEdit
Hamazura Shiage conspires with Kinuhata Saiai in order to have her accompany Kuroyoru Umidori to the Hero's Cave, a dentist clinic in School District 7, after noticing that she has been avoiding chewing with her back teeth. He installs gum into the ports where her nitrogen lances are fired out of, knowing that she would resist.
Saiai takes Umidori there, much to her horror, indicating that Umidori is still a child, predictably, she tries to oppose Saiai using her Nitrogen lances, but due to Shiage's countermeasures, it does not work, and Saiai forcibly takes her into the clinic.
Saiai later returns to ITEM's apartment building, and helps Shizuri clean the mess she made after she used her powers on Cendrillon. Saiai asks how it came to be, to which Shizuri bluntly tells the truth, confusing Saiai.
A half an hour before midnight, Saiai quickly goes outside of their apartment after hearing a ruckus, only to discover Mugino Shizuri before a middle-aged man wearing Frenda's clothes, who attacked her but was felled by her. Saiai notes this to Shizuri. Shizuri insults the man's foolishness, telling him that he could've have comrades to jump at her when she was fooled. The man writhes in pain, asking on how Shizuri could still fight despite living a peaceful life away from the dark side. Shizuri sighs at his explanation. She states that she will get into trouble and into fights, kill people, and even destroy things, but no matter what, it will be fine and will be resolved in a happy ending, because as long as she has Shiage, it will be fine, for he will forgive her in the end. She states, that she too is an oddity, and there is an odditiy in Academy City that would allow her to live despite what had happened to her body. At which point, she mutilates the man utterly into a broken ruin, but keeps him alive as an example to what she had said. She and Saiai later dragged his ruin before a strange research facility, and tells each other to keep a secret from Shiage.
During the FestivalEdit
Saiai somehow ends up meeting up with Kuroyoru Umidori, Misaka 10032, and Misaka Worst, coincidentally, after the latter asks if there is anyone who else has nothing to do. Saia forms a disgusted expression after coming them, especially at Umidori. Misaka Worst, seeing her, agrees that she has that nasty look on her face, seeing at they are ken to the ways of the dark side. Seeing them all, Saiai then asks if they are a bunch of villains trying to create their own faction. Misaka Worst comments on how with dark people like them around, she could enjoy the Ichihanaransai honestly without holding back.
Saiai manages to lose Misaka Worst, and once again meets up with Shizuri. Tagging along with her, they meet Shiage, Rikou, and Yoshikawa Kikyou, after they escaped from the revived Kakine Teitoku's Dark Matter beetles. Saia explains how they got here, to which Shiage explains to them the situation in "30 seconds." Shizuri was polite in the beginning but became displeased as Shiage's story went on, and had grabbed Shiage by the collar. She is angry towards Shiage for having no idea where Fremea is, and allowing her to leave with a probably dangerous out-of-control weapon (Beetle 05), and the fact that he has no idea why she was being attack or who was behind all of it. Saiai and Rikou frantically try to stop Shizuri from making Shiage worse off in her anger, but later tosses Shiage aside near a tree. Shizuri tells that him believing that he will be defeated once he is spotted from whether he's 4 kilometers or 1mm away, as well as his plan on opposing the beetles as nonsensical. She is further enraged after he asks where they could find a means of attacking from kilometers away that can break through the beetles' armor. She tells that they all need firepower that can take out the likes of those beetles 5 kilometers away, and states that it is easier than spinning a pen in her fingers. Saiai just stands by as she watches step on Shiage as punishment after one too many dumb responses.
After that debacle, Saiai goes back to the apartment while the others search for Fremea. Despite being in the midst of the Ichihanaransai, Saiai is stuck doing the housework. During Shiage, Rikou, Kikyou, and Cendrillon's race back towards the apartment where the latter had left-over parts of her body, they meet Saiai cleaning up the apartment. She complains to herself about doing all the work, even though she handed off the dark side investigation to Shizuri, she is missing the Ichihanaransai. She leaps up after being heard by Shiage as she relieved herself by shouting, and beats him up with a wrestling move. It is implied that Saiai just watched as Cendrillon and the others realizes Kamijou Touma's final plan to stop Fräulein Kreutune from eating Last Order's brain.
She may have been left behind again after Shiage and the others quickly bring the brain back to Fräulein.
According to Kakine, Saiai is a leftover from the "Dark May Project", whose aim was to create a personal version of Accelerator's ability by using a similar pattern of ability operation, using the cognitive patterns of Accelerator himself as reference in order to optimize the Personal Realities of certain espers taking part in the experiment. Though the details are not mentioned, she only succeeded in creating an automatic self-defense capability that activates when she's attacked. Her ability is the Level 4 Offense Armor (
Her power is so exceedingly great that she can even control compressed masses of nitrogen in order to lift up a car and deal powerful blows . However, her effective range is very small as it only extends a few centimeters from her palm. She can also use her ability to propel objects, as demonstrated in Volume 15 when she outsniped Sunazara who was over 500 meters away, where she used a portable anti-tank missile with great accuracy.
Character Art DesignEdit
Saiai's design remains the same throughout the series. However, Haimura states that Saiai's age has been different when he designed her, and as such she looks a lot younger in the novels.
- Saiai's first name can be translated as "beloved", while her surname Kinuhata means "silk flag".
- In the novels, she is described as a very short woman that might look no older than twelve years old; however, some of her line art depicts her as rather tall for a teenager.
- She was the one that gave Shiage his first ITEM-related job, and this consists of creating a fake ID to bypass her inability to watch a mature-rating horror movie. Furthermore, Hamazura was forced to watch the movie with her.
- Shiage noted that Saiai designs her regular looks so that it reveals the maximum amount possible of "leg skin" from every angle, without actually showing anything that she wouldn't want to be seen.
- "My Offense Armor won't break to mere guns." -- Railgun Manga Volume 5, to Shinobu
- “So bunny girls are a super hit with you, Hamazura?" -- Volume 15
- “I didn’t say it for thanks. I was speaking ill of you. We don’t need super useless people like you and Takitsubo-san in ITEM so I’m telling you to get out of our way." -- Volume 15, after telling Hamazura to take Takitsubo and leave ITEM behind due to Takisubo's condition.
- “For the bunny girl-crazy super pervert Hamazura, giving any sign that you are losing your respect and fear for us is a crime. Is that super clear?” -- Volume 19, after wrestling Hamazura to the ground.
- “It’s 100,000 years too soon for a sexual animal lower even than a caveman to super debate whether I, Kinuhata-sama, am sexy or not. To be blunt, you’re super too full of yourself. You need to at least evolve further as an animal first” -- Volume 19, as Hamazura stated that she couldn't pull off sexy looks in a bunny costume.
- “Hamazura!! Super run away!! I doubt they’re after me!! They’re after you!!" -- Volume 19, after realizing the situation was different than what she originally believed.
- "Oh, so you even super looked into all the people Hamazura knew? Yanderes can be super scary". -- New Testament 1, as she noted that Mugino had a certain level of knowledge about Hamazura's friends.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 12
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 015
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 028
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 029
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 030
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 5 Part 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 2 Part 4
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 5 Part 1
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 5 Part 7
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 7 Part 18
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 04 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 17
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 1 Part 2