Kamachi Kazuma, author of Toaru Majutsu no Index and several other light novel series, debuted in Dengeki Bunko on April 10, 2004 with the very first volume of Toaru Majutsu no Index. Prolific in his career, in a decade he became one of the most successful light novel authors in Japan. On April 10, 2014, Dengeki Bunko celebrated 10 years of his career with a website containing news for new projects, comments from figures from the industry, as well as Kamachi's comment on the 10th year anniversary itself.
The website was open for the public on the same day as promotional stream on Niconico and Youtube of the videogame Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Puzzdex, which featured Iguchi Yuka (Index's seiyuu) and Miki Kazuma.
This page details the currently translated material from the website.
BackgroundEditKamachi Kazuma is a writer for the Dengeki Bunko light novel imprint. His career as a professional author began after his talent for writing was recognized in his amateur work Schrödinger's Road for the 9th Dengeki Game Novel Prize. He was given a project about writing a book for starting a writing career, after which Kamachi started working on his first and currently longest running work, Toaru Majutsu no Index. The series was first released on 2004.
Toaru Majutsu no Index soon rose into fame, and was recognized in the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! awards for several years in a row. Kamachi later expanded the story of Index by writing the spinoff manga series Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, while starting on other projects outside of Index such as Heavy Object and The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village.
Ten years on, Kamachi continues to write for various forms of media, including anime, manga and games.
Kamachi Kazuma's 10th Year Anniversary MessageEdit
So ten years have already gone by. Thinking about the time that had passed, honestly... after thinking over it a dozen times, it always comes out in a mess. There are rumors that say that Kazuma Kamachi doesn't exist, but the stuff about me being a story writing program in the servers of Dengeki is not true!
Like always, there are a lot of things that I want to do, but obstacles like "looking simple when imagined as pictures animated like in anime and games, but impossible to write" and "the opposite of that" show up once in a while. However though, if you can whip up ideas like flicking the switch of an electric fan, it would be revolutionary. If ever this "flame" flickers out, I may be able to live life normally if that ever comes, but I wouldn't know what I would be able to accomplish ten years after that moment.
That aside, on the topic of the tenth year anniversary of being a creator, to those who have been helping me throughout these ten years, I want to say that their efforts have been meaningful to me. I still feel that the "flame" is still burning bright within me. For the one who allowed me to rent his place time and time again, thank you. Thank you very much.
Well then, as we head towards the 20th year, I hope that our "flames" would never burn out.
Timeline of Kamachi Kazuma's 10 year careerEdit
Legend: ☆ indicates new novel publication.
|Kamachi Kazuma's Career Timeline|
Messages from Key FiguresEdit
The Kamachi 10th anniversary site's content includes congratulatory messages from various people who collaborated with Kamachi throughout his career, from the publishing of his works to the production of anime adaptations. This section lists down the people who greeted Kamachi from the website, as well as their favorite characters from Kamachi's works. All characters mentioned are from the Toaru Majutsu no Index universe except where noted.
- Haimura Kiyotaka (Toaru Majutsu no Index light novel illustrator)
- Asakura Ryousuke: Index
- Inue Shinsuke (Heavy Object manga artist): Kanzaki Kaori, Himegami Aisa
- Saito Sakae (Heavy Object S manga artist): Milinda Brantini (Heavy Object)
- Kogino Chuuya (Toaru Majutsu no Index manga artist): Shirai Kuroko, Himegami Aisa
- Nishino Ryuu (Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion manga supervisor): Ladylee Tangleroad
- Tanaka Yuichi (JC STAFF character designer): Index
- Hasegawa Shinya (Animator and character designer): "I find any character I draw interesting"
- Fuyukawa Motoi (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga artist): Misaka Mikoto
- Yamaji Arata: Accelerator, Last Order
- Mahaya (Zashiki-Warashi of Intelli-Village illustrator): "There's so many, but since I have to choose: for Intelli-Village, (Zashiki-warashi) Yukari, (Kotemitsu) Madoka, 青行灯 and Shide no Tatsuki; for Heavy Object, Froleytia and Ohoho; and for Index, Kinuhata (Saiai), Orsola (Aquinas), Lessar, Saronia (Irivika), Acqua (of the Back), Knight Leader, Kakine (Teitoku), Measure Heart, (Kihara) Byouri, (Kihara) Yuiitsu and Thor, off the top of my head."
- Hiyamizu Yukie (Animator): Shirai Kuroko
- Mijin Kouka: Index, Agnese Sanctis, Shirai Kuroko
- Asahoshi Masanao (Series composer and scriptwriter for Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Majutsu no Index II): Kamijou Touma
- Asakawa Miya (Anime scenario writer): Hamazura Shiage
- Asakura Azumi (Voice actress for Shokuhou Misaki): "Of course, it's Shokuhou Misaki-san! Misaka Mikoto-san too!"
- Abe Atsushi (Voice actor for Kamijou Touma): Orsola Aquinas
- Arai Satomi (Voice actress for Shirai Kuroko): "Always my Onee-sama! (I also like Febri-chan.)"
- Iguchi Yuka (Voice actress for Index): Index
- IKU (Ending theme song artist for Toaru Majutsu no Index): "Index!! Accelerator too, slowly but surely."
- Iuchi Maiko (Theme song arranger and composer for Toaru Majutsu no Index and soundtrack composer for Index and Railgun): Index and Accelerator
- Itou Kanae (Voice actress for Saten Ruiko): "There's so many characters I like, but I like the Railgun Team [Mikoto, Kuroko, Kazari and Ruiko] the most!"
- Itou Michiko (Railgun scriptwriter): Shirai Kuroko
- Itou Shizuka (Voice actress for Kanzaki Kaori): "I like Stiyl Magnus! He's a good guy."
- ELISA (Ending theme song artist for Toaru Kagaku no Railgun): Misaka Mikoto
- Ogino Kentarou (Planning assistant for Toaru Kagaku no Railgun): Kihara Amata
- Oota Fujiya (NBU Universal Entertainment Advertising Staff): Kanzaki Kaori
- Okamoto Nobuhiko (Voice actor for Accelerator): Accelerator and Last Order
- Kawakami Tetsuya (Animator): Kamijou Touma
- Katsu Anri (Voice actor for Tsuchimikado Motoharu): "Of course, that's Tsuchimikado Motoharu~"
- Kawada Mami (Opening theme song artist for Toaru Majutsu no Index): Kamijou Touma
- Kimura Yasutaka (Square Enix cross-media producer): Leivinia Birdway
- Kurosaki Maon (Ending theme song artist for Toaru Majutsu no Index II): Accelerator and Last Order
- Koyama Kimiko (Voice actress for Tsukuyomi Komoe: "Of course, Komoe-sensei."
- Sasaki Nozomi (Voice actress for the Sisters): Sisters
- Satou Rina (Voice actress for Misaka Mikoto): Shirai Kuroko
- Shimomura Yuuichi (Index manga editor): Index, Misaka Mikoto, the Sisters, Accelerator, Angelene
- Sunayama Kurasumi (Railgun and Index II scriptwriter): Tessou Tsuzuri
- Taniyama Kishou (Voice actor for Stiyl Magnus): Stiyl Magnus!
- Toyosaki Aki (Voice actress for Uiharu Kazari): Saten Ruiko
- Nakayama Nobuhiro (Animation Producer for Warner Entertainment Japan): "Of course, it's Index!"
- Narita Ryohgo (Baccano! and Durarara!!): Roberto Katze, Heaven Canceller, Hamazura Shiage, Sogiita Gunha, Aogami Pierce, Rhino Beetle, Sasha Kreutzev/Misha, Kazakiri Hyouka, the whole royal family, the Sisters, Misaka Mikoto, Shokuhou Misaki, ITEM, Kiyama Harumi, Nunotaba Shinobu, Konori Mii, Tokiwadai Dorm Supervisor
- Nishikiori Hiroshi (Index and Index Movie director): Index
- Hama Hayato (Index-san editor): Index, Misaka Mikoto, Uiharu Kazari, Saten Ruiko
- Hidaka Rina (Voice actress for Last Order): Accelerator and Last Order
- Fushimi Tsukasa (Ore no Imouto author): Mugino Shizuri
- fripSide (Opening theme song for Toaru Kagaku no Railgun): Misaka Mikoto
- Matsukura Yuji (JC STAFF chief producer): Index
- Miki Kazuma: Measure Heart
- Minakami Seishi (Index scriptwriter and Railgun series composer): Shirai Kuroko
- Yamada Yasunori (Scriptwriter in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S): Index
- Yoshino Hiroyuki (Index Movie and Railgun S scriptwriter): Index
10th Year Anniversary ProjectsEdit
As part of the celebration of Kamachi Kazuma's 10th year as a light novel writer, ten projects are slated for announcement starting April 10th. Currently, there are four projects announced.
- Messages from Creators, Illustrators and Anime Staff - A section of the website was reserved for key collaborators in Kamachi's works to express their reactions for the 10th year anniversary. A list of contributors can be found on the previous section, while their messages can be read here (in Japanese).
- Haimura Kiyotaka's Second Art Book - The illustrator of the Index light novels announces an upcoming second art book, entitled rainbow spectrum:notes, containing his latest works. Further announcements to be made throughout Spring 2014.
- A New Novel from Kamachi! - Also revealed in the May issue of Dengeki Bunko Magazine, Kamachi Kazuma will publish a new light novel series. This new project, officially entitled Mitou Shoukan: //Blood Sign (未踏召喚: //ブラッドサイン The Unexplored Summon: //Blood Sign?), is considered to be a "traditional" series by Kamachi. The first volume is scheduled for release on September 10.
- Figure Projects for Two Popular Characters - After having a minor role in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, Shokuhou Misaki will get her first figure. More information to be revealed at the July 2014 issue of Dengeki HOBBY MAGAZINE to be published on June 25. Meanwhile, Misaka Mikoto gets a 65 cm figure, which will be officially announced at the September issue of Dengeki Daioh. The Misaki figure has a tie in with an up coming short story that will somehow relate to Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11.
- Kamachi-themed Ichiban Kuji Promotion - Banpresto announces a Kamachi 10th anniversary version of their Ichiban Kuji lottery. Further information will be announced on Winter 2014.
- Kamachiverse Super Crossover! - Characters from the stories penned by Kamachi will meet in a crossover light novel tentatively titled A Certain Magical Heavy Zashiki-Warashi Deals With a Simple Killer Princess' Marriage Circumstances (とある魔術のへヴィー座敷童が簡単な殺人妃の婚活事情 Toaru Majutsu no Hevi Zashiki-warashi ga Kantan na Satsujinhi no Konkatsu Jijou?). More details will be released on the Winter 2014 issue of the special Kamachi Kazuma Magazine to be published by Dengeki Bunko Magazine.
- Tokyo Verdy FC Collaboration Projects - Toaru Kagaku no Railgun enters a collaboration with Tokyo Verdy football team for two projects. The first is a special jersey line with the names of the main cast of Railgun on the back. The jersey comes in the official colors of Tokyo Verdy and have the names 3510 MIKOTO, 965 KUROKO, 087 KAZARI, 310 RUIKO with the in-series mascot Gekota on the back. The second is an exhibition match between Tokyo Verdy FC and Mito HollyHock, which in turn promotes the Girls und Panzer anime series.
- A Certain Super Crossover Special Issue - The upcoming January 2015 issue of Dengeki Daioh (to be released on November 27 2014) will include a compilation of illustrations for A Certain Magical Heavy Zashiki-Warashi Deals With a Simple Killer Princess' Marriage Circumstances.
- Anniversary Animated Promotional Video - To celebrate the ten years of Kamachi's professional career as a writer, Dengeki released a video showing the main cast of Kamachi's works as they gather for the 10th anniversary event. The video was animated by J.C. Staff, who animated the Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime series, and was accompanied by the song "Where I belong... Zutto", performed by Kawada Mami and composed by Iuchi Maiko, both of which contributed to the music of the Index anime.
- Anniversary Event and Heavy Object Anime Adaptation Announcement at Dengeki Autumn Festival 2014 - As previously announced, an event was held at the Dengeki Autumn Festival 2014 at Akihabara UDX, where they announced the final project at the event for the Kamachi Kazuma 'Toaru Majutsu no Index' 10th Anniversary. The event featured Abe Atsushi, Iguchi Yuka and Satou Rina (voice actors for Kamijou Touma, Index and Misaka Mikoto respectively) as guests. After much anticipation, they announced an anime adaptation of Kamachi's Heavy Object series was revealed as the final announcement.
Coconut Cider Release EventEdit
Aside from the ten projects scheduled, there are also related events announced, including a limited release of the "Coconut Cider" drink (see also Strange Juices) featured in the Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime series and the release of an Android puzzle game entitled Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Puzzdex.
Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no PuzzdexEdit
- Main article: Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Puzzdex
It was first introduced in a livestream hosted on Nico Nico Video and Youtube, hosted by Index's voice actress Iguchi Yuka and Dengeki Bunko's editor-in-chief Miki Kazuma. Another livestream event was announced for July 27.
E-Books for Kamachi's WorksEdit
Dengeki Bunko officially releases e-books of Kamachi Kazuma's works through Dengeki Mobile NEO. For five weeks, starting from June 5 to July 3, Kamachi's works can be bought in e-book form. The lineup includes not only the bestsellers Toaru Majutsu no Index and Heavy Object, but also The Zashiki-Warashi of Intellectual Village, New Testament: Toaru Majutsu no Index (up to Volume 10), as well as Kamachi's past works such as Killer Princess and Deep End and Killer Device and Never End. Purchasing all 24 volumes of Toaru Majutsu no Index will come with a free dress-up bookshelf for e-books.
Zashiki-Warashi Web NovelEdit
The anniversary site began hosting a web novel based on The Zashiki-Warashi of Intellectual Village entitled Jinnai Shinobu's Apocalypse (陣内忍の黙示録 Jinnai Shinobu no Mokushiroku?). The first of the four-part series can be found here. (in Japanese)
Index Collaboration with Keri-Hime SwitchEdit
Toaru Majutsu no Index teams up with the Android and iOS puzzle game Keri-Hime Switch, introducing new event stages and a login event that gives players the chance to get a Sphynx head accessory for their in-game avatar. The complete mechanics can be found here. (in Japanese)
Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival EventsEdit
Toaru Majutsu no Index gets the spotlight along with other notable series by Dengeki Bunko in this year's Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival (official site here). An official exclusive crossover between Toaru Majutsu no Index and Narita Ryogho's Durarara! will be up for grabs in the event's venue, and a special stage dedicated to Kamachi Kazuma's 10th anniversary celebration will be opened as well.
Kamachi Kazuma's Ten Years of CompositionEdit
Appearing in the 10th anniversary website, it is an essay written by Kamachi himself detailing his thoughts on writing, from his style and composition to advice for aspiring writers. The 17-part essay can be found here. (in Japanese).
- Kamachi Kazuma 10th Anniversary Official Site (in Japanese)
- ↑ "A Certain Magical Index's Kamachi to Start New Novel Series", Anime News Network. April 9, 2014.