Kamachi Kazuma (鎌池和馬 Kamachi Kazuma?) is a Japanese light novel author and the original creator of the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novel series and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, its spin-off manga series. He also actively works on the manga and anime adaptations of both Index and Railgun', and has worked on other related media such the original plot of the PSP game.
As he uses a pen name, his real name and identity is as of yet unknown.
Before becoming the famous writer of the Index light novel series, Kamachi wrote a story entitled Schrödinger's Road (シュレディンガーの街 Shuredingā no Machi?) as an entry in the 9th Dengeki Game Novel Prize; unfortunately, his submission failed to reach past the third selection stage of the said competition. However, his story caught the attention of the editor-in-chief of Dengeki, and Kamachi later becomes in-charge in writing the book Kaite-minai ka? (書いてみないか？? lit., Want to Try Writing?), which becomes his debut as a professional writer.
Kamachi's identity has been shrouded in mystery. He has little to no media exposure, and like many novelists, uses an avatar — a face created from simple shapes like circles or oblongs — as a picture in his publications. Haimura Kiyotaka, the illustrator of the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels has once thought of him as "delicately sports-minded", while the author of the Toradora! light novels, Takemiya Yuyuko, upon meeting the author personally, was surprised to discover him as "younger than expected".
Kamachi began writing novels while he was still studying as a junior high school student. However, his works were not finished until he graduated from high school.
Kamachi considers writing novels as his pastime, and he takes joy in doing so; in fact, he is noted for his very quick pace of writing. As exemplified by volume 2 of the Index novels which was written at the behest of his editor, and was forced to complete it in 17 days. He also extremely prolific, apparently managing to write for two of his light novel series on schedule, and at the same time writing for other side projects.
On holidays, he plans on the progress on the plot and prepares manuscripts. Kamachi also takes some time to research on materials for the light novels.
List of worksEdit
- Toaru Majutsu no Index (とある魔術の禁書目録?) (2004-2010) (light novels, original creator)
- Heavy Object (ヘヴィーオブジェクト?) (2009, ongoing) (light novels, original creator)
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index (新約 とある魔術の禁書目録?) (2011, ongoing) (light novels, original creator)
- The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village (インテリビレッジの座敷童?) (2012, ongoing) (original creator)
- A Simple Survey (簡単なアンケートです?) (2012) (original creator)
- A Simple Monitoring (簡単なモニターです?) (2013) (original creator)
- The Marriage Circumstances of Waltraute-san (ヴァルトラウテさんの婚活事情?) (2012) (short story, original creator, published in Dengeki Bunko Magazine)
- Killer Princess and Deep End (殺人妃とディープエンド?) (Published in Dengeki h)
- Killer Device and Never End (殺人器とネバーエンド?) (Published in Dengeki hp Vol.37)
Tribute collaboration projectsEdit
- Beyond the Mystery (謎のその先に?) (2005) (Published in Dengeki hp Special 2005 spring)
- Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan Desu (撲殺天使ドクロちゃんです?) (2007) (light novel - Collaboration Volume, contributor)
- Prison of Ruin (討滅の獄?) (Published in Grimoire, a bonus publication that came with the limited edition of Volume 2 of the Shakugan no Shana manga.)
- The Zashiki Warashi of Techno Village (テクノビレッジの座敷童?) (Published in Dengeki Bunko Magazine Vol.22)
- Schrödinger's City (シュレディンガーの街?) (Submitted to the 9th Dengeki Game Novel Award)
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (とある科学の超電磁砲?) (2007, ongoing) (manga, original creator, published in Dengeki Daioh)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index (2007, ongoing) (manga, original creator, published in Shonen Gangan)
- Heavy Object (manga, original creator, published in Dengeki Maoh)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie (2013) (manga, original creator, published in Shonen Gangan)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index (2008-2009) (anime series, original creator)
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (2009-2010) (anime series, original creator)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index II (2010-2011) (anime series, original creator)
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun OVA (2010) (OVA, original creator)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie (2013) (Theatrical film, original creator)
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S (2013) (anime series, original creator)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Portable (2011) (PSP game, original creator)
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Portable (2011) (PSP game, original creator)
- Kakusansei Million Arthur (拡散性ミリオンアーサー?) (2011) (Android phone, scenario writer)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Struggle Battle (2012) (Android phone, scenario writer)
- Kamachi once used a picture of an orange with a face on it, all made using circles or other shapes, as an avatar during the first five volumes of the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels. Since Volume 06, he has switched to a much simpler avatar: various faces created from circles and/or rectangles.
- Kamachi Kazuma on the Japanese Wikipedia
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Afterword
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index no Subete, page 126.
- ↑ "Essay #53: Kiyotaka Haimura" (in Japanese). Dengeki Bunko Essay. ASCII Media Works.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Toradora! vs. Toaru Majutsu no Index" (Dengeki Bunko Magazine November 2008 Issue Special Edition)
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Afterword
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index no Subete, page 142.