Kabbalah (カバラ Kabara?), also referred to as Qabalah, are a set of esoteric principles and teachings meant to explain the relationship between an eternal and mysterious Creator and the mortal and finite universe (His creation).
In Toaru Majutsu no Index, it is used as background to explain the situations and concepts that are related to the Abrahamic religions and their God.
Aspects of GodEdit
In the 3rd volume of Toaru Majutsu no Index, Index compares the goals of Academy City, which is to achieve SYSTEM, or One who is not a god yet reaches the will of the Heavens, to the teachings of the Kabbalah, specifically she referred to Ein Sof Ohr, Ein Sof, Ein.
- Ein is translated as null, void, or nothingness, and corresponds to 0.
- Ein Sof is translated as infinity, and corresponds to 00, and is the emanator of 10 Sephirot.
- Ein Sof Ohr is translated as infinite light, and corresponds to 000.
- Ein caused Ein Sof, and Ein Sof begot Ein Sof Ohr.
Ein Sof in Kabbalah, is understood as God prior to His manifestation in the production of any spiritual Realm — before God changes His Self, known as Seder hishtalshelus to the creation of the physical world. Ein Sof may be translated as "no end", "unending," or infinite. Ein Sof is the divine origin of all created existed, in contrast to the Ein, which is infinite nothingness. Ohr on the other hand, is translated as light, and is used as an analogy as a way of describing metaphysical Divine emanations of God.
Ein Sof Ohr or Ohr Ein Sof means The Infinite Light, and is the Kabbalistic term for the Divine essence. In the Kabbalah, it describes the 10 Sephirot (The 10 Divine emanations or attributes), that reveal the unknowable Godhead to the creations and channel the creative life-force to all levels of existence. As well as the 10 "lights" of God encapsulated in the Sephirot, Kabbalah also describes a more primordial light that shines from the Ein Sof (Infinite) itself. This light, the origin of all Creation, and all lower lights, is called the "Ohr Ein Sof" ("The light of the Infinite", or alternatively, itself "The Infinite Light"). Before Creation, there could be no being to behold a revelation of Divine light. The Ohr Ein Sof is a form of Divine self knowledge, and through God knowing Himself, He created everything, with its subsequent historical unfolding, and its ultimate purpose in the innermost Divine Will.
The above can be explained as God, has known Himself, and through it, He created everything from infinite nothingness, and from there emanated his divine presence, infinitely upon His creations.
In relation to the storyEdit
- Main article: SYSTEM
Since the purpose of SYSTEM is to find a way to reach the will of the heavens and for Academy City to find a body that exceeds humans and can do God's calculations, this comes off as particularly blasphemous to Index. Simply put, SYSTEM is the achievement of becoming the same as God, and goes up against God's will, by removing one's self from his divine light.
Furthermore, Kabbalah teaches that God is neither matter nor spirit, but is the creator both, is unknowable and the revealed aspect of God that created the universe, preserves the universe, and interacts with mankind. Because God is infinite (Ein Sof), nothing can be said of His essence, and that the 10 emanations through the Sephirot is only partially accessible to human thought.
Tree of SephirotEdit
The Tree of Sephirot, meaning Tree of enumerations, represent the 10 attributes/emanations in Kabbalah, through which God reveals himself and continuously creates both the physical realm and the chain of higher metaphysical realms. The emanations arise out of the tree preliminary states that are considered to precede manifestation. The first is the Ein, the second is the Ein Sof (the concentration of Ein), and the third is Eins Sof. The Sephiroth was brought from the Ein Sof, and from the brilliance of God's light, the Ein Sof Ohr, took form of as His emanations.
The Ten SephirotEdit
- Keter-"Crown": Divine Will to create/Infinite Light of the Creator/the Hebrew name of God "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh-I Am that I Am"
- Chochmah-"Wisdom": First unbounded flash of an idea before it takes on limitations/male light/Divine Reality/first revelation/creation from nothingness Hebrew God name Yah
- Binah-"Understanding": the infinite flash of Chochmah brought into the vessel of understanding to give it grasp of breadth and depth/feminine vessel that gives birth to the emotions/reason/understanding brings teshuva return to God Hebrew God name Yahweh Elohim
- Daat-"Knowledge": Central state of unity of the 10 Sephirot, also called the Tree of Life. Daath is an invisible sephirah and it is sometimes not considered as a sephirah.
- Chesed-"Kindness": Loving grace of free giving/love of God/inspiring vision. Hebrew God name El
- Gevurah-"Severity": Strength/judgment/intention/withholding/awe of God Hebrew God name Elohim Gibor
- Tiferet-"Beauty": Symmetry/balance between Chesed and Gevurah in compassion Hebrew God name Yahweh Eloah V'daath
- Netzach-"Victory" Hebrew God name Yahweh Tzabaoth
- Hod-"Splendor": Withdrawal/Surrender/sincerity Hebrew God name Elohim Tzabaoth
- Yesod-"Foundation": Connecting to the task to accomplish/wholly remembering/coherent knowledge Hebrew God name Shaddai El Chai
- Malchut-"Kingship": Female vessel for the pregnant nurturing of the male lights of the emotional sephirot into action/becomes the Keter Will source for any subsequent lower level in Creation/accomplishment/realization of the Divine Plan. Hebrew God name Adonai Ha-Aretz
In relation to the storyEdit
The Athanasius Kircher version of the Tree of Sephirot, which omits the Da'at Sephirah, though traditionally it is often omitted from the Tree. Da'at is translated as (Knowledge), where all 10 sephirot are united as one. In Da'at, all sefirot exist in their perfected state of infinite sharing. The three sephirot of the left column that would receive and conceal the Divine Light, instead share and reveal it. Since all sephirot radiate infinite self-giving Divine Light, it is no longer possible to distinguish one sefira from another. Thus they are one.
It should be noted that his version has been adapted by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and its descendant organizations. Kircher's version shows twenty-two channels or pathways connecting the Sephiroth, arranged in the same pattern as is found on the modern Tree. Each channel has been assigned one of the Hebrew letters.
It can be assumed that this may what Index be referring to as the slot where God's positions amongst the other hierarchy is. However, this is highly unlikely, as the Sephirot is the emanation of God, and no single Sephirah nor the entire Tree, consitute to the whole limiteless state of God. Thus, Index's reaction when Komoe reveals Academy City's goal of SYSTEM, as it is not part of the emanation of God, and a being separate from his emanation is separate from Ein Sof, implying that the being in itself has his own infinity. In Toaru Majutsu no Index, the Tree is referred to as a basic concept where 10 levels are arranged, separating God, Angels, Humans, and souls, and to represent that God reigns supreme over everything. Furthermore, both Stiyl Magnus and Tsuchimikado Motoharu state that people can train in order to achieve a higher level, but there is a limit to how much humans can climb.
During Angel Fall, Motoharu refers that all of the positions in the sephirot are full and is such, two beings cannot exist in the same sephirot, forcing a switch. It should be noted that there are beings that rule over each sephirot, though it varies depending on the source. It is unknown if this was what Motoharu referring to.
The Qliphoth (クリフォト Kurifoto?) is the completely opposite tree to the Sephiroth, covering another side of the world. Unlike the upright tree of the Sephiroth, the Qliphoth is an upside-down tree with equivalent positions and demons name engraved in each qliphah.
The Four Worlds are the comprehensive categories of spiritual realms in Kabbalah in the descending chain of Existence. These "Worlds" denotes the emanation of God's light, the Ohr, from the Ein Sof Divinte Infinite, through progressive, innumerable constrictions of his Ohr in order to allow for the "conceptual space" in which a finite and seemingly independent world could exist. These constrictions or dimming of his light, form differentiated spirtiual levels. Higher realms metaphorically denote greater relvelation of God's divine Ohr light, and more open to their source, or closer to God.
- Atziluth (World of Emanation) On this level the light of the Ein Sof, radiates and is still united with its source. This supernal revelation the souls and Divine emanations in Atzilus from sensing their own existence, which would mean that those that reside with this realm are unaware of their self.
- Briah (World of Creation) On this level is the first concept of creatio ex nihilo, yet without shape or form. Here, the creations of Beri'ah are aware of their selves, of their own existence, but cease being Divine.
- Yetzirah (World of Formation) This level have beings that have assumed shaped and form. The beings here worship through Divine emotion and striving, as they sense their distance from the Understanding of Beriah.
- Assiah (World of Action) On this level the creation is complete, differentiated and particular, due to the concealment and diminution of the Divine vitality. However, it is still on a spiritual level. Assiah is separated as spiritual and physical, and here in the physical Assiah, is the material Universe of humans with all its creations.
In relation to the storyEdit
Continuing with the explation of Angel Fall to Touma, Kanzaki Kaori states that the spell affects all of the four worlds, from those closest to the Divine light of God, and in the lowest from it, the world of humans, switching the inside and the outside states of the beings.
According to Fiamma of the Right, Angel Fall occurred only because there was a distortion of the Laws of the World, allowing for the switching of the elements and attributes of the Archangels and the ability of those beings to name themselves without God's permission. This would imply that a terribly powerful source pervaded through the four worlds and distorted the divine light of God, perhaps something that is outside the Ein Sof of God.
Uses of Kabbalah within the storyEdit
- Four Worlds: A categorization of spiritual realms.
- Golems: An animated anthropomorphic being, created entirely from inanimate matter. In the Kabbalah, humans are created by God through dirt, and the poor copies that humans make are called golems, imitations that are not properly created.
- Sherry Cromwell's golem, Ellis, is apparently an attempt to create a higher existence than that of a human, like angels. Sherry's golem was created in the image of a cross, its head, right arm, left arm, and legs corresponding to each present position, and each assigned with the power of the four Archangels. However, this is of course impossible for Sherry, due to her outdated techniques, as Aleister Crowley can attest as he has managed to make one of his own.
- The method of creating golems from corpses devised Obed Rosenthal and used by his descendants as part of Rosenthal-style Necromancy, is derived from the Kabbalh.
- Notarikon: A quick Kabbalah reading method.
- Qliphoth: The polar opposites of the Sephiroth.
- Sephiroth: Ten positions and attributes present on the Tree of Sephirot (also referred to as the Tree of Life).
- In Golden-style Tarot, the Major Arcana are linked to the paths connecting the Sephira.
- A sephiroth is one of the elements which comprise the artificial souls used in Rosenthal-style Necromancy. Part of the Rosenthals' goal in creating the perfect golem involved having the artificial soul reach Keter.
- Aleister Crowley refers to both the Sephiroth and Qliphoth as means of attaining spiritual knowledge if used correctly.
- Temurah: A Kabalistic technique known also as permutation. It is a way in which kabalist use in order to rearange words and sentences in order to give it a new meaning.
- Kabbalah (Wikipedia article)
- Sephirot (Wikipedia article)
- Four Worlds (Wikipedia article)
- Hermetic Qabala (Wikipedia article)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03 Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Chapter 1 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03 Chapter 1 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 15
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 3 Part 6
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 4 Part 5
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 4 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator Manga Chapter 033
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 3
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Chapter 2 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator Manga Chapter 029
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 4 Part 3