As most of the city population are students, it is the duty of Judgment to catch those delinquents misusing their powers along with other offenders and protect the students. They can arrest criminals, though only Anti-Skills can formally take them into custody.
In the event of a situation that Judgement members cannot handle, their superiors and the city's security forces, the Anti-Skills will take over. Overall, the role of a Judgement officer is more like a part-time civilian patrol officer and are often used in community services, such as cleaning garbage from the streets (when cleaning bots are unavailable), helping locate lost objects, traffic duty, etc.
Their authority is normally limited to their school grounds and districts; a Judgment member of another branch can request the Judgement branch that has control of an area to temporarily extend their jurisdiction in that area; also, they can only use their authority outside when ordered to by their superiors or in cases of emergency.
OrganizationEditJoining Judgement's ranks requirement is only being an Academy City student, though it is unknown what the minimum age required is, as elementary students are allowed to join the ranks. Also, recruits need to pass 13 kinds of tryouts and training (which includes going to Judgement Training Center to train) lasting for 4 months, and sign 9 contracts, before formally becoming a member of Judgment.
Younger members of Judgement are partnered with older members to patrol the city, though when one reaches a certain age, a member is allowed to patrol alone or form partners with other members of the same branch. During large-scale operations, several members of Judgement of the same branch can form a group for patrols.
Other than the unique abilities of each individual, members of Judgment are trained on how to apply first aid. They are also probably trained in basic emergency situation responses, as well as basic physical training.
All members of Judgement are required to wear their armband, which bears the Judgement symbol, during operations; however, they can also keep it hidden, when they want to be discreet and don't want to draw attention to themselves.
Judgement members are equipped with handcuffs that are used for restraining criminals. They can also use signal flares, as to clear an area of civilians. Judgement also has access to a variety of equipment in analyzing a crime scene.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Judgement is seen from time-to-time in the main story, especially Shirai Kuroko, however they are not given as much focus as in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.
Kazakiri Hyouka ArcEdit
- Main article: Kazakiri Hyouka Arc
Judgement is later given a small focus during Sherry Cromwell's attack on Academy City. Here, Kuroko engages Sherry and nearly captures her, but is surprised by her use of magic, and later escapes from her after Misaka Mikoto destroys Sherry's diversion. Another member of Judgment is later seen, trying to telepathically tell Kamijou Touma to evacuate the School District 7 Underground Shopping Center, but he is however, unable to receive her message, she later tells Touma, along with Index and Kazakiri Hyouka to evacuate the mall as a terrorist(Sherry) has attacked it.
Kuroko along with Mikoto, later meet both Index and Hyouka, where she reveals to them that a terrorist has attacked the mall, and it is her job to evacuate civilians. She later opts to evacuate Index and Mikoto, after they are unable to come to a conclusion on who should stay with Touma. She returns later, trying to find Hyouka and Touma, but discovers that there are other civilians trapped in the mall and decides to evacuate them.
Tree Diagram Remnant ArcEdit
- Main article: Tree Diagram Remnant Arc
While Kuroko is treating the injuries she received from Musujime Awaki, Uiharu looks up information regarding Awaki's past. Uiharu is able to discover that there was an incident in Awaki's past that has traumatized her, and made her currently unable to proceed to becoming a Level 5 esper.
Academy City Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Academy City Invasion Arc
On September 30th, Kuroko and Uiharu are stuck taking care of paperwork. While they are eating dinner, they hear on the news that there is an intruder in Academy City. Unfortunately, the news caused Uiharu to feel animosity towards the intruder which caused her to fall victim to Vento's Divine Punishment magic. It is unknown if Kuroko also fell victim to it as well. The curse would eventually be lifted after Touma defeated Vento.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Ichihanaran Festival Arc Edit
- Main article: Ichihanaran Festival Arc
During the Ichihanaran Festival, Konori Mii calls out Aogami Pierce for questioning, deeming him to be a suspicious person. Shirai Kuroko is with her and questions her on why they couldn't just throw him into a cell, as there are cases and mysterious reports that are needlessly driving down their efficiency, especially about rampaging Rhinoceros beetles. Mii says not to take her frustration on Aogami Pierce, to which she then asks for his belongings to check them.
Aleister Crowley ArcEdit
- Main article: Aleister Crowley Arc
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
Members of Judgment (especially the 177th Judgment Branch) and their exploits in Academy City are heavily featured in the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sidestory, as Shirai Kuroko and Uiharu Kazari are important characters in the storyline.
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article: Level Upper Arc
Members of Judgment become targets by the graviton bomber, and near the end of the graviton bombings have managed to injure nine of it's members. Later, after discovering the existence of the Level Upper and it's link to previous cases, including the graviton bombings, branch 177 of Judgment discovers that Kiyama Harumi. A member of branch 177 of Judgment, Uiharu Kazari is held hostage by Harumi, but is later freed and becomes instrumental in helping revive the users of the Level Upper.
Big Spider ArcEdit
- Main article: Big Spider Arc
Konori Mii, the head of the 177th Branch of Judgment, reveals that she is a former member of Big Spider, a Skill-Out faction that has recently increased it's attacks on power users. With the aid of Misaka Mikoto and the former leader of Big Spider, Kurozuma Wataru, Judgment is able to take down the faction for good.
- Main article: Poltergeist Arc
Judgment, Anti-Skill and Multi Active Rescue, have a coalition meeting in Anti-Skill District 7 Main Office to discuss about the true nature of the earthquakes that were occurring in the city, being an occurrence of a large-scale RSPK Syndrome or Poltergeist.
Uiharu Kazari later discovers the true nature of MAR Leader, Therestina, who plans to use Haruue Erii and Kiyama Harumi's students in an experiment that would destroy Academy City. With the aid of Misaka Mikoto, Kongou Mitsuko, and Saten Ruiko; along with Shirai Kuroko and Konori Mii (members of the 177th Branch of Judgment); and the assistance of Anti-Skill, they were able to stop her before she could perform the experiment that would cause a massive Poltergeist occurrence and destroy the city.
Silent Party ArcEdit
- Main article: Silent Party Arc
With Anti-Skill taken out of the picture due STUDY's manipulations, at least 20,000 Judgment members volunteer to participate in the battle to stop STUDY'S planned terrorist attack on the Academy City Research Exhibition Assembly using 20,000 powered suits. Using spear-like objects and shields as weapons, they try to buy Misaka Mikoto time as she tries to find STUDY's base.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun OVAEdit
At the beginning of the OVA, Uiharu appears in the 177th branch of Judgment helping Kuroko with a case. When Mikoto was being stalked, Kuroko and Uiharu went to their Judgment branch to search who might be doing this. Here, Kuroko figures out that
- 3rd Branch Office
- 49th Branch Office
- 105th Branch Office
- 177th Branch Office
- Unknown Branch
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 24
- ↑ Name is mentioned in Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01.
- ↑ Konori Mii arresting Kurozuma Wataru under charge of assault, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 16.
- ↑ Arrests done by Anti-Skill, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 01.
- ↑ Misaka Mikoto's short tenure as Judgment member from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 06.
- ↑ Judgment branch in School Garden allowing Shirai Kuroko and Uiharu Kazari to operate in the area, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 03.
- ↑ Citation from atwiki.jp
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Between the lines 1
- ↑ Citation from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 017 special 1
- ↑ Konori Mii accompanying a young Shirai Kuroko from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 017 special 1.
- ↑ Judgment members investigating Green Mart, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 06.
- ↑ Number of branch on plaque from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 02.
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Volume 03
- ↑ Konori Mii hiding her armband, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 17 Special 1.
- ↑ Judgment member using shield, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 6.
- ↑ Judgment member using helmet, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 08.
- ↑ Shirai Kuroko restraining random thug, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 1.
- ↑ Shirai Kuroko using a flair during Sherry Cromwell's invasion, from Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 21.
- ↑ Konori explaining the method on how to discover the identity of the graviton bomber, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 07.
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 1 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 1 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun OVA 01
|Shirai Kuroko||Uiharu Kazari||Konori Mii||Yanagisako Aomi|