|Index: "What is this? Agathions?"|
This page may require cleanup to meet Toaru Majutsu no Index Wiki's quality standards. Requires Principles, History, Chronology and Uses expansion
Hinduism is the main religion of the Indian subcontinent. In Toaru Majutsu no Index, Hinduism and Hindu mythology are used as a base for Magic, primarily by Indian cabals.
It should be noted that Hinduism encompasses a wide range of beliefs and is not bound by a single doctrine. By no means can the entirety of Hindu beliefs be summarized; as it is easily the most complex religion in the history of the world. For example, there is no one leader of the religion, equivalent to the Pope or the Dalai Lama, so there are different sects of the religion with different dogmas.
Contrary to popular Western belief, most modern Hindus will attest that it is monotheistic, not polytheistic. In the same way Christianity has the concept of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being different forms of the same God, Hinduism has a similar belief: Vishnu, Lakshmi, Lord Shiva, Bramha, Hanuman, etc. are all different forms of one God, known variously as Brahma, Ishvara, or other names. So, though Hindu Mythology contains a vast pantheon of gods and beings, they are all recognized to be part of the same Ishvara or "All-Being", i.e, God. This is not set in stone, and debates on whereas Hinduism is polytheistic or monotheistic have occurred for centuries.
Hinduism is also very loose and allows acceptance of other religions; the practice of Hinduic ideals and beliefs, known as Sanadhana Dharma, is defined as "a way of life", and not a religion. This makes Hinduism the only major world religion that is henotheistic by nature, i.e, involving devotion to one God while accepting the existence of others.
Hinduism's roots can be traced back to Iron Age India, and as such it is believed to be the oldest living religion in the world.
Uses of Hinduism & Hindu Mythology in the storyEdit
- Amaravati: The capital of Svarga, one of seven planes in Hindu mythology and a paradise where the righteous live before their next incarnation.
- Astra: Supernatural weapons associated with Hindu deities.
- Garuda: A mythical bird, appearing in both Hindu and Buddhist mythologies, the mount of Vishnu.
- Kali: Consort of Shiva, a goddess of time and destruction
- Vishnu: The supreme deity of Vaishnavism, and part of the Trimurti together with Brahma and Shiva, representing preservation.
Users of Hindu-based MagicEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Chapter 13 Part 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index: Road to Endymion
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble Magic Side (Surface) Story
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Prologue
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Archives 1 Audio Drama