|Index: "What is this? Agathions?"|
|Name (Romaji)||Furenda Seiverun|
|Family||Fremea Seivelun (Younger sister)|
|Occupation||Student (Unknown high school)|
|Voiced By||Maaya Uchida|
|Manga||Railgun Volume 3|
|Anime||Railgun Episode 12 (cameo)|
Frenda Seivelun (フレンダ＝セイヴェルン Furenda Seiverun?) is an operative of the Academy City-based underground team called ITEM. She is one of the main combatants of the team, having incredible prowess in close-quarters combat, as well as expertise in traps and concealed weaponry.
She is a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. Her outfit consists of a black, tight-fitting sailor top and a pleated skirt. She also wears a pair of white pumps and dark-colored pantyhose. A dark-colored beret adorns her head.
She and ITEM's leader Mugino Shizuri have a sort of a master-servant relationship, with Frenda usually being scolded for her fits of unprofessionalism at work. Out of combat, she seems to enjoy talking about ordinary things girls her age would talk about; she also values her legs highly, saying that it is her pride as a woman.
In battle, though, her moves can be difficult to read as her humorous remarks often serve as a diversion; this in turn, combined with her cunning style of combat, can prove to be a deadly combination. She is also somewhat vicious and possesses a blood-thirsty nature, indicating that she enjoys taking away the life of someone as if she was destined to end them.
She has the habit of often using the term "Kekkyoku," which can be translated as "Basically" or "In the end" in her speech. Her younger sister also has a similar trait.
Chronology (Toaru Majutsu no Index)Edit
Battle Royale ArcEdit
- Main article: Battle Royale Arc
Frenda joins ITEM in the "battle royale" that involves the underground organizations based in Academy City. In one of their skirmishes with the other participating groups, they are overwhelmed by SCHOOL's firepower and were forced to retreat, leaving Frenda behind to be captured by SCHOOL and undergo intense interrogation.
SCHOOL's leader Kakine Teitoku demanded the whereabouts of ITEM's shelter from Frenda. In fear of being killed by Kakine, she discloses the whereabouts of the ITEM's shelter and subsequently goes into hiding after being released by SCHOOL.
SCHOOL and ITEM later clash again when Kakine and the girl in dress attack one of ITEM's hideouts. There, Mugino finds out about Frenda's betrayal and goes on a solitary manhunt for Frenda. Mugino later finds and executes Frenda, cutting her in half at the waist with her Meltdowner ability.
World War IIIEdit
- Main article: World War III
Frenda's death at the hands of Shizuri permanently scarred the Rank 4 Level 5, although the effects were not evident until her encounter with Hamazura Shiage in Russia. In spite of her unstable mental condition, Shizuri admits that she regrets having murdered Frenda and wishes to reunite the members of ITEM after what happened in the past.
Chronology (Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index)Edit
- Main article: Freshmen Arc
Mugino Shizuri later visits Frenda's grave in School District 10, where she is joined by the surviving members of ITEM.
- Main article: Homecoming Arc
Shizuri is shocked to find Fremea Seivelun after she looks too similar to Frenda.
Ichihanaran Festival ArcEdit
- Main article: Ichihanaran Festival Ar
After Kakine Teitoku is released by Kihara Yuiitsu to go mad in the City, a being that sounds and looks like Frenda appears before Shizuri after she goes out to get some water bottles. Here, the Frenda-being tells Shizuri that she is different from the last time she saw her, and that despite her coming to terms with her death, it doesn't mean that her anger should disappear.
Despite the person's inane mind games and guilt-tripping, Shizuri defends herself and easily defeats her attacker, reasoning that her electronic eye was tampered with to make her see her attacker as Frenda. Saiai arrives and confirms that the attacker was a middle-aged man wearing Frenda's clothes. Shizuri then mutilates the man utterly into a broken ruin, but keeps him alive as an example to what she had said. She and Saiai later dragged his ruined body before a strange research facility, and tell each other to keep the incident a secret from Shiage.
Shizuri later appears before Kakine Teitoku himself, and suspects him for the reason behind the Frenda impersonator, as he was the biggest factor from the dark side of Academy City active at that time and the interest in playing with the dead was the same. She tells him that she doesn't know what his purpose was with what he did, and tells him that she will make him pay for disturbing her grave.
Chronology (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun)Edit
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article: Level Upper Arc
She and her teammates are first seen during the climax of the Level Upper Arc. They are in Joseph's Coffee and Restaurant arguing whether or not they should go into a public or private pool since it's summer. They later hear the Level Upper treatment program on the P.A. System, unaware of what's exactly going on and waking up Takitsubo Rikou. In the anime adaptation, their conversation is complete cut-out, only leaving them being reacting to the the noise being played all over Academy City.
- Main article: Sisters Arc
Frenda and ITEM reappear during a string of attacks by Misaka Mikoto on research facilities related to the Level 6 Shift, when Shizuri receives a call that they are to protect a medical facility. Frenda is sent to guard a facility that is one of Mikoto's targets while Shizuri and the others are in another facility. The facility that Frenda is in gets attacked by Mikoto.
Frenda uses her white tape to destroy various objects in the facility as well as the dolls with bombs inside them to attack Mikoto, though Mikoto is first caught off-guard, her superior mastery and power over electromagnetism surprises even Frenda. However, Frenda soon lures Mikoto into an enclosed space. Frenda entraps Mikoto and uses her traps and weapons to attack her, but her efforts are later overwhelmed by Mikoto's powers. Seeing this, she blinds and deafens Mikoto with a stun grenade, and attacks her with missiles, knowing full well that the Electromaster's disability will only be temporary; but even then, Mikoto was able to dodge them easily due to her sensing the surroundings and using her power to escape. In response, Frenda attempts to befuddle Mikoto with indiscernible words, using the latter's confusion as an opportunity to toss a vial containing some chemical at Mikoto, who shoots it with lightning, resulting in an explosion. Frenda then bluffs her way into making Mikoto not use her powers, by releasing a fake chemical from the surrounding pipes to engulf their vicinity, and lying that it would explode like the vial if she uses her powers.
This forces Mikoto to a close-combat situation and is nearly overpowered by Frenda's superior fighting skills. Frenda however, angered Mikoto with her taunts, and retaliated by putting Frenda in an arm-lock from behind, and though this was easily countered by Frenda with a shoulder throw that threw Mikoto off, Frenda slips up as one of her electronic devices sparks one of the white tapes, making it explode, without igniting the surround gas around them; because of this Mikoto realizes Frenda's deceit and subdues. While trying to interrogate Frenda, Shizuri arrives and rescues Frenda. Mikoto retreats after seeing the sheer force of Shizuri's powers, as well as the involvement of Takitsubo Rikou, who consumes Body Crystal to track down Mikoto's AIM Field which enables Frenda and Shizuri to attack Mikoto after Rikou pinpoints her location.
Both, Frenda and Rikou are later ordered to pull back after Shizuri realized she was fighting Mikoto, wanting to take her one-on-one. Back in their headquarters, Frenda converses with Rikou and shows her concern over her using her powers, and later wishes Rikou to find another place she will belong to, after Rikou replies that ITEM is the only place for her. Frenda later gets nervous after realizing that she forgot to collect her bombs, she is later told by Kinuhata Saiai that Frenda should prepare for punishment from Shizuri, after talking to her on the phone after Mugino becomes inconvenienced by Frenda's irresponsibility. It is presumed that Frenda gets punished after this arc, as Shizuri not only become inconvenienced by Mikoto using Frenda's bombs but also losing to Mikoto after using Frenda's white tape.
Silent Party ArcEdit
- Main article: Silent Party Arc
In the anime original arc, they are hired by STUDY under false pretenses, being used as test subjects for their Powered Suits controlled by Diffusion Ghost. For that they desire vengeance for their reputation in the dark side of Academy City. The ITEM liaison gives them information on one of STUDY's factories, destroying several Powered Suits there. They are later present during the Silent Party, taking down several Powered Suits in a stadium, and inadvertently aiding Misaka Mikoto.
Daihasei Festival Arc (Railgun)Edit
- Main article: Daihasei Festival Arc (Railgun)
As the opening day of the Daihasei Festival approaches, the committee tasked with gathering the seven Level 5s of Academy City contact Mugino Shizuri while she and the other members of ITEM, Frenda included, are relaxing in an indoor resort.
Contradictory information is present between Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S and its supplementary material. She is listed, albeit discreetly, as a level 4 esper in an episode.However, in one of the DVD and Blu-ray booklet, her level and ability is not listed and she is spefically stated as "the only member of ITEM who fights without using an esper power."
The manga and novels make no reference to her abilities at all.
She proves to be skilled in close combat and is proficient with using an array of concealed weapons.
Upon her encounter with Mikoto, she makes use of electrical igniters and strips of a tape-like explosive to create fuses that can cut through various objects. She also connects fuses to dolls stuffed with explosives. In fact, this array of traps for Mikoto is a pre-planned trap Frenda set up throughout the facility, which transforms the area into a battlefield where she gains an upper hand almost at the first moment the fight begins. She normally uses remote-controlled bombs, but she chose to not prepare them against an electromaster like Mikoto in case they would be used against her.
She is also somehow able to conceal missiles in her skirt, possesses a perfume bottle of a vaporous, breathable Academy City-made explosive known as Ignis, and has a hidden stiletto in her left shoe.
Unfortunately, she is prone to losing her focus in battle when she has the advantage, and she even admits that she underestimated Mikoto when the Level 5 Electromaster uses her electricity against a powerful insulator of electricity, ceramic.
Character Art DesignsEdit
Appearing only in a single volume, Haimura designed Frenda to be a simple moe character, and used her and the entirety of ITEM as a light contrast to dark premise of volume 15, up until much later when ITEM becomes more involved with the plot.
- (Railgun manga vol. 5) "Nishishishi~ ♪"
- (Railgun manga vol. 5) "M-Mugino hugs a beat up old plush doll or she can't sleep!"
- (Fighting against Mikoto Railgun manga vol. 5) "I said earlier that the target's life is of no interest, but I get a special feeling whenever I end them. That instant when you pluck a life, it feels like I've conquered their destiny. In the end...It's like they were born just to be killed by me."
- (After Shiage accidentally shows her a porn video, vol. 15) “In the end, you’re disgusting, Hamazura”.
- Because of her tragic fate, Frenda is usually referred to by fans of the Light Novels as Fre nda (or フレ ンダ in Japanese), with the deliberate space dividing her name in two. It acts as a joking reference for her death in the hands of Mugino Shizuri, who used her Meltdowner ability to slice Frenda in two by the waist.
- Both the anime and the manga continue to reference the character's fate in the Sisters arc during her fight with Misaka Mikoto. Frenda comments both on nearly losing the lower half of her body to her own trap as well as the importance of preserving her legs. Also, when Mikoto numbed her tongue with electricity, that prevented her from selling out her team members, which she was perfectly willing to do. When she succeeds in doing just that in the Battle Royal Arc, Shizuri hunts her down for betraying them. In her last appearance of the final episode of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S there is an contrail line passing over her waist.
- Frenda is one of the very few non-Japanese Science side characters in the series, the others being her sister Fremea, Stephanie Gorgeouspalace, Thomas Platinaburg, and Keitz Nokleben.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 15 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 027
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 02 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 5 Part 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 7 Part 6
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 12
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 015
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 025
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 026
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 028
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 030
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 18
- ↑ A Certain Scientific Railgun Chapter 29
|Mugino Shizuri||Takitsubo Rikou||Kinuhata Saiai||Frenda Seivelun|