Egyptian Mythology (エジプト神話 Ejiputo Shinwa?) is the mythology of the ancient Egyptians, dating from 3000 BCE.
Much of the Egyptian mythology is set in the earliest times, setting the pattern for a cycle which the Egyptians believed would be repeated in the events of the present times, much like the cycles of nature. They believed that as the cycles were repeated, the fundamental order of the universe, called maat, would be renewed.
The Egyptian pantheon consists of numerous deities, most of whom represent natural or social phenomena. With the exception of a few deities, most of Egyptian pantheon act to maintain maat. Within the pantheon, there are a fair number of deities associated with animals and often represented in art as a human with an animal's head.
Though the religion of Egyptian mythology was lost to history, many well preserved records were left behind. Considerable progress in their analysis meant that information on their system of gods, rituals and views of life and the soul were gathered together, and with Egypt being positioned at the top of Africa, it was geographically convenient for European magicians who had reached a dead-end in their research and sought new material elsewhere to make a breakthrough, and many monuments and burial items were preserved by museum and collectors in Europe.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index SSEdit
- Main article: Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index SS
The first Egyptian magician to appear in the series is Leep, who targets Index Librorum Prohibitorum, hoping to use her knowledge to complete a version of the Book of the Dead which was missing pieces due to tomb robbers.
Uses of Egyptian Mythology in the storyEdit
- Ankh: A hieroglyphic ideograph (with the meaning "life"), shaped as a cross with a looped handle, commonly featured in depictions of Egyptian deities.
- Bastet: A cat-headed goddess of protection, sometimes associated with Sekhmet.
- Eye of Horus: Also referred to as the Wedjat, a symbol of protection, royal power and good health, featured on funerary amulets.
- Horus: A falcon-headed god of the sky and war, son of Osiris and Isis.
- Isis: A mother goddess of health, fertility, wisdom and magic, wife of Osiris and mother of Horus.
- Mummification: A process and practice whereby a deceased body is preserved as a mummy, believed to be important step in the transition to the afterlife. Notable parts of the practice include the removal of the internal organs except the heart and wrapping the mummy with many layers of linen cloth bandages.
- Nephthys is a mummy, born from a group of servants buried with a pharaoh, and made use of her separated organs in order to escape being completely 'exiled' by World Rejecter.
- A certain magical faction planned the ritual sacrifice and mummification of a maiden as part of an experiment to prove the existence of heaven, with the heart being used like a signal, before being reduced to dust by Nephthys.
- Nephthys: A goddess associated with death and protector of mummies, together with Isis.
- Osiris: The Egyptian god of the underworld and the dead, murdered by his brother Set.
- Sekhmet: A violent lioness-headed goddess of war, sometimes associated with Bastet.
- Sphinx: A mythical creature, with the body of a lion and a human head.
- The creature is the origin of Sphynx's name.
- The Book of the Dead: A sacred funeral text which contains spells to assist a person's journey through Duat, the Egyptian underworld, and into the afterlife.
- Thoth: The ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index SS
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Between the Lines 3
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 2 Part 15
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Between the Lines 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Between the Lines 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Epilogue