- This article refers to the reiterating term. For the entity and organization, see Aiwass.
Dragon is a recurring term that appears in several instances in Toaru Majutsu no Index. It is most notably the name that Aiwass uses to refer to himself, and the organization that is formed around his presence.
The dragon is fantastical creature of legend and is said to have guarded treasure or brought about massacre, and represents respectively, the dragon serving God's angels or the devil. St. George was said to have slain a dragon.
Other legends related to the dragon is seen several times in the novels.
- St. Martha is said to have subdued a dragon using a prayer full of compassion and love.
- St. Matthew is said to have defeated two dragons using just a cross and prayer.
- One of Biagio Busoni's cross-related magic is the expansion of a cross, based on the legend of St. Margaret who was said to have been swallowed by a dragon and expanded the cross to stab the dragon from the inside.
- Main article:Index Arc
The first instance of dragons being referenced is during Touma's first fight with Stiyl Magnus, the word that was used to describe Touma negating Stiyl's flame sword is tornado, which literally means "winding dragon" in Japanese.
Later, during Index's rampage after getting her John's Pen Mode activated to attack Kamijou Touma. Here, Index uses St. George's Sanctuary named after St. George to distort the space between her and Touma. She later uses Dragon's Breath against Touma, which according to the possessed Index is the most suitable spell against Touma's Imagine Breaker. Indeed, Touma could not fully dispel the attack and required the help of Stiyl Magnus and Kanzaki Kaori to defeat John's Pen Mode Index.
Deep Blood ArcEdit
- Main article:Deep Blood Arc
One of the most notable reference to the dragon in the series is the dragon king head that appeared in place of Touma's arm after being severed by Aureolus Izzard. According to Stiyl Magnus, the dragon king may have been what Aureolus Izzard imagined in the eleventh hour after Touma used fear to disrupt his Ars Magna. Touma's arm is later reattached by the Heaven Canceler and asks if his arm is made out of fantasy.
Orsola Aquinas Rescue ArcEdit
Main article:Orsola Aquinas Rescue Arc
The 7th Index Light Novel Volume, has Tatemiya Saiji reference a dragon that Kanzaki Kaori defeated on her own in order to fulfill a child's wish, and is referred to being able to swallow an entire mountain. In all adaptations of the story arc the depictions are different. In the second season of the animated series, the dragon takes the form of multi-tentacled monster or perhaps a multi-headed serpent similar to the Yamata no Orochi. In the manga adaptation, it takes the form a single-headed giant serpent. Regardless, Kaori defeats the dragon, but at the great cost of having her comrades decimated in the battle. This is one of the reasons why she left the Amakusa-Style Remix of Church.
Battle Royale ArcEdit
- Main article: Battle Royale Arc
Near the end of the arc, Tsuchimikado Motoharu retrieves the pincet glove Kakine Teitoku used to analyze UNDER_LINE Here, in the monitor attached to the gloves, Motoharu, Accelerator, Musujime Awaki and Etzali discover a memberless organization, simply named DRAGON.
British Royal Family ArcEdit
- Main article: British Royal Family Arc
The word Dragon is referenced several times during the arc in the form of the retelling of the legend of St. George. During Acqua's confrontation against the Knight Leader the later declares himself as someone who symbolizes a dragon, the Knight Leader quietly noticed that in the values of the Christian Church, the dragon was the symbol of more than one thing. For example, it represented pagans and foreign invading forces, but it also represented a fallen angel stained with evil. 
- Main article:Toaru Majutsu no Index (PSP game)
One notable inclusion in the game is the dragon that appears in the Deep Blood Arc. It appears briefly during Touma's finishing move right before Touma punches an opponent character.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index LN Vol19 Ch3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Epilogue
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 2 Part 3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel 07 Chapter 3 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 5 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 06
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 09
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5 Part 5