|Index: "What is this? Agathions?"|
This page may require cleanup to meet Toaru Majutsu no Index Wiki's quality standards.
Celtic Mythology (ケルト神話 Keruto Shinwa?) is the mythology of the Celts, a group of tribal societies present across Europe during the Iron Age and in Medieval times.
In Toaru Majutsu no Index, Celtic Mythology is used as a base for certain forms of Magic.
There are two main (surviving) strands of Celtic mythology: Goidelic (Irish/Scots/Manx) and Brythonic (Welsh/Cornish/Breton). While they share many traits and have certain figures in common, they do not really overlap; each has its own unique stories. They are further split into 'Cycles' (Ireland) and 'Branches' (Wales). Mainland Europe's Celtic traditions were mostly lost due to invasion and assimilation of Celtic populations in their conquerors' own societies (mainly the Roman Empire and Germanic tribes). The cultural taboo against consigning knowledge to writing certainly didn't help.
According to the Celts, before people came to the archipelago now called the British Isles, a race of intelligent magical non-humans calling themselves the Tuatha Dé Danann ("the children of the goddess Danu") lived there. With the arrival of people and their permanent settlements, the Tuatha Dé Danann continued to muck about in the lives of people, but retreated to the Otherworld, their home world, a world still reachable through places such as fairy forts or fairy burrows. This Otherworld is probably the "Fairy Island" Othinus mentions when explaining the Phases.
British Royal Family ArcEdit
- Main article: British Royal Family Arc
During the British Halloween, a spiritual item based on Brionac is used by the Knights of England. The Knight Leader also made use of Hrunting, which incorporated analysis of certain Celtic weapons such as Brionac and Fragarach into its development.
Uses of Celtic Mythology in the storyEdit
- Brionac: A name supposedly ascribed to the spear of the god Lugh.
- Cú Chulainn: A legendary hero of Irish mythology, and son of the god Lugh.
- Fragarach: The sword of Manannan mac Lir and Lugh Lamfada. When held at one's throat, the sword was said to prevent them from telling a lie, hence its name, meaning 'Answerer'.
- Manannán mac Lir: The Irish god of the Sea, and the psychopomp to five planes of the afterlife.
- Nuada: The first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, who lost the throne after losing his arm but regained it after gaining a new silver arm, hence his epithet Airgetlám (silver hand/arm).
- Selkie: A legendary being, a seal that can take the form of a woman.
- Sheela na Gig: Stone carvings of naked women. It is likely that either the origins of this is from Celtic Mythology or part of an ancient folklorish tradition of the British Isles.
- Tathlum: A ball used by the Celts as a projectile for slingshots, made from the brain and bones of dead enemies hardened with lime.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5 Part 9
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 4 Part 5
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 8 Part 6
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Epilogue
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 2 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 7 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Chapter 1 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 6 Part 2