It is often assigned to situations that members of Judgment are unable or not allowed to handle, such as engaging terrorists, handling hostage situations, or stabilizing dangerous areas. Judgment is often assigned to assist Anti-Skill in these cases by evacuating civilians or handling crowd control as well as dealing with rogue espers who abuse their powers. It is also shown to assist Judgment with meager work such as directing traffic, helping lost people, and enforcing curfew, and can also be hired for events. Anti-Skill members are also tasked in training Judgment recruits.
Its authority extends outside Academy City, and it is basically the city's "official" armed forces as opposed to black ops like the Hound Dog; this is shown first when Anti-Skill is sent to Avignon to suppress a riot, and later when they defend against Russia's attack in World War III. It has been revealed that Academy City has hired many soldiers to work in the city as teachers, with one of the HsF-00 pilots in World War III mentioning that they only took up teaching for appearance's sake and are actually soldiers.
Members of Anti-Skill are capable of properly handling rifles. They are also trained in various tactics and strategies to handle different situations, such as hostage situations and dealing with terrorists. They are also probably trained in the implementation of first-aid.
To join their professional ranks, one need only be a teacher and then one must sign nine contracts, pass thirteen different types of aptitude tests, and complete four months of training, similar to Judgment. Though it is currently unknown who leads Anti-Skill, during operations such as engaging terrorists, Anti-Skill members are formed into small groups and follow a single leader. Sometimes, Anti-Skill members are put into relatively minor work (enforcing curfew, assisting lost people, etc.), and as such are partnered to scan particular areas.
- Main article: DA
DA is a secret rogue organization within Anti-Skill. Originally, composed of people who received "disciplinary action" for going overboard with their duties to the point of brutality or abuse of power, the organization later becomes a powerful organization in itself within Anti-Skill after receiving funding and technology from sympathizers.
Armor and ProtectionEditMost members of Anti-Skill are seen with special SWAT armor as well as riot shields. If available, security bots are also used for protection against enemy fire.
They are shown to use SIG SG 551 SWATs with Aimpoint CompM2s attached, as well as grenades and grenade launchers. However, in the manga adaptation, they use MP5 Heckler and Koch MP5 in place of SIG SG 551 SWATs as their primary weapon instead. When the situation calls for it, they can use experimental weapons against dangerous foes.
Anti-Skill primarily uses blue armored trucks to transport criminals as well as their own members. It is also shown to house communication apparatus.
One of their tools is the HsLH-02, a linear hammer used to destroy steel doors. At first glance, it looks like a bazooka, but inside there's a giant stake with a flat end. There is no need for a trigger, the hammer is used by swinging it like a pendulum and striking the target. The shock applied to the muzzle area strikes the target with the giant 20 kg stake at subsonic speed. It can be used repeatedly to bash the target.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Members of Anti-Skill appear from time to time in Toaru Majutsu no Index. They are first seen in the anime during the Index Arc, but are not introduced until the Sisters Arc, where they are called by Kamijou Touma to the area where he saw the dead body of a Misaka clone.
- Main article: Three Stories Arc
Anti-Skill is on the alert as an intruder has infiltrated Academy City (which was actually Touma accidentally triggering the alarm after coming back from the outside). This inconveniences Amai Ao, and allows Accelerator to stop him and save Last Order.
Kazakiri Hyouka ArcEdit
- Main article: Kazakiri Hyouka Arc
During Sherry Cromwell's attack on Academy City, only a few members of Anti-Skill engage her (as many Anti-Skills were deployed to guard against the intruder that infiltrated Academy City the previous day), and are swiftly defeated. They later regroup and help Kamijou Touma fight Sherry, which gives them the upper hand. After Sherry escapes from the mall, Anti-Skill takes Touma under custody.
Touma eventually escapes from the Anti-Skill to have a final confrontation with Sherry and save Index & Kazakiri from Sherry's golem Ellis. Komoe later berates Touma for causing so much trouble for the Anti-Skill.
Academy City Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Academy City Invasion Arc
Due to the nature of Vento of the Front's Divine Punishment and the fast spread of information through the Anti-Skill's communication lines, nearly all of Anti-Skill has been rendered unconscious by the spell, making the city defenseless.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Magic God Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Magic God Invasion Arc
Anti-Skill were deployed during the early stages of the High Priest's rampage, but were almost immediately overwhelmed. Later, when the High Priest attempted to destroy the city's foundations, Anti-Skill were involved in minimizing casualties.
Aleister Crowley ArcEdit
- Main article: Aleister Crowley Arc
Processor Suit ArcEdit
- Main article: Processor Suit Arc
In the evening, District 7 Central Anti-Skill Station was attacked by A. O. Francisca, wearing the Processor Suit, and the Mimetic Predators, targeting the Processor Suit worn by the recently apprehended Hamazura Shiage, which was intended to act as a decoy but was creating a SIM conflict that prevented her from taking full control over the Bank in her own suit. Following the attack, reinforcements were called in from other districts, though they were hampered by multiple chains of command and a general state of confusion.
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article: Level Upper Arc
Anti-Skill members' role in Academy City (specifically, those of Yomikawa Aiho and Tessou Tsuzuri) is expanded upon in the A Certain Scientific Railgun sidestory, where they are shown to be tightly controlled by the city's higher-ups and stifled by bureaucracy. They appear from time to time to deal with the criminals that Misaka Mikoto and members of the 177th branch of Judgment catch, especially in the anime adaptation.
Anti-Skill is later deployed against Kiyama Harumi to arrest her for her role as the creator of the Level Upper. They are swiftly defeated after Kiyama Harumi is shown to use esper abilities (a result of the Level Upper Network). Members of Anti-Skill later manage to aid Uiharu Kazari in spreading the Level Upper treatment program.
Big Spider ArcEdit
- Main article: Big Spider Arc
- Main article: Poltergeist Arc
It forms a coalition meeting with members of Multi Active Rescue and Judgment in the Anti-Skill School District 7 Main Office to discuss about the true nature of the recent earthquakes, as the result of an occurrence of RSPK Syndrome. It is later seen incapable of doing anything after MAR has solved the case of the Poltergeist Incidents.
List of known Anti-Skill membersEdit
- Yomikawa Aiho
- Saigou Ryouta
- Sugiyama Edao
- Teshio Megumi (left)
- Kouji Masakage
- Tessou Tsuzuri
- Kameyama Ryuuta
- Jounan Asako (arrested)
- Stephanie Gorgeouspalace
- ↑ Name comes from Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01.
- ↑ Cited in atwiki.jp's Anti-Skill page.
- ↑ Yomikawa Aiho shows Accelerator and Last Order to her house, Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12.
- ↑ Anti-Skill against Sherry Cromwell, from Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06.
- ↑ Arresting of Kiyama Harumi, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 11.
- ↑ Raid on The Strange, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 16.
- ↑ Tessou Tsuzuri's duties, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17.
- ↑ Tessou Tsuzuri and Yomikawa Aiho as security in the Tokiwadai Midsummer Festival, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 19.
- ↑ Anti-Skill members including Tessou Tsuzuri train Judgment recruits, in Judgment Training Center, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 017 special 1.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Between the lines 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 14
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 20
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 20 Prologue
- ↑ Anti-Skill's strategy against Sherry Cromwell, by using Kamijou Touma. Taken from Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 23.
- ↑ Tessou Tsuzuri applying first-aid on Konori Mii, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 05.
- ↑ [[Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03]] Chapter 1 Part 2
- ↑ Yomikawa Aiho leading an Anti-Skill group, from Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 22.
- ↑ Tsuzuri and Aiho partnering during episode 17 of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime.
- ↑ Use of Security bots during the Kiyama Harumi hostage situation, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 11.
- ↑ Anti-Skill member using prototype weapon, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 12.
- ↑ Uiharu Kazari using Anti-Skill's communication trucks to spread the Level Upper treatment program, from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 12.
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Chapter 2 Part 9
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 3 Part 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Chapter 4 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 1 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 1 Part 10
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 2 Part 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 3 Part 5
|Yomikawa Aiho||Saigou Ryouta||Sugiyama Edao||Kouji Masakage|
|Tessou Tsuzuri||Kameyama Ryuuta||Momozawa||Yashiro|
|Teshio Megumi||Jounan Asako|