Alchemy (錬金術 Renkinjutsu?) is a subbranch of magic that is traditionally associated with turning base metals such as lead into gold and creating an elixir of immortality. However the true goal of alchemic branch of magic is to model everything in the world.
A practitioner of alchemy is called an alchemist, the only known one being Aureolus Izzard.
With it simply being a sub-branch of magic, naturally, several applications and theories that are present in magic such as the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus, which the Golden Dawn advocates). With the teaching that alchemy is not only that of turning lead into gold, but is a process in which to make a natural body into perfection, the process is called Magnum opus or Ars Magna. Or simply put, humans are incomplete gods and through training and making one complete, humans can become gods.
Indeed, according to Stiyl Magnus alchemy is an unrefined knowledge, and is a magician is referred to an alchemist if they deal with subject matter closely related to it if they are untalented enough for other roles. Furthermore Stiyl also pointed out several times that as the goal of Alchemy is to simulate the entire world, any result that they happen to get before reaching the ultimate objective would, or should be seen as useless by the alchemist .
Ars Magna (
However, according to Stiyl, since alchemy is an unrefined knowledge, modeling the entirety of the world and its laws into a chant takes centuries even with the assistance of descendants and removing of unnecessary lines. Kamijou Touma deducted that this why the prospect of why actual existing vampires are sought after by the magic side, by both alchemists and normal magicians, since one can achieve to finish the chants of the level of Ars Magna if one is able to figure out vampire's immortality. Hence forth, no one has yet to achieve Ars Magna under the above means.
Aureolus Izzard is the only person who has managed to achieve Ars Magna. By utilizing the Gregorian Chant Replica to chant the spell simultaneously, he was able to bypass the time required to chant the spell in only a mere seven days as well as increase its effects 120 times. In his use, the Ars Magna distort reality through his thoughts, and require a vast amount of concentration to accurately model a thought into reality with it.
Limen Magna (
Deep Blood ArcEdit
- Main article: Deep Blood Arc
The concept of alchemy was prominently featured only in the Deep Blood Arc but was introduced earlier. It is also referenced much later, usually in the company with eerily similar concepts such as the teachings of Kabbalah and Thelema as well as Esper powers. Touma even thought that the basic principles of alchemy were similar to those of espers.
La Regina del Mare Adriatico ArcEdit
- Main article: La Regina del Mare Adriatico Arc
- Stiyl commented that alchemists are like scientists of the magic side, who are constantly researching on subjects, looking for a basis or rule for it .
- Stiyl also mentioned that besides Paracelsus no alchemist has really done significant progress with their studies and thus "wasn't strong" . This, however, was a statement made before he could experience Ars Magna first hand.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 07
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Afterword
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 02 Part 6
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 02 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 05 Part 9